PDA

View Full Version : Leak in a condeser water line.

Triggerman
12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
The headquarters of a big name retailer called us Friday. A 14" condenser water line had sprung a leak and needed to be welded. No problem, huh? There was one tiny little challenge to it. The pumps pushing water through this line at right about 45 PSI couldn't be shut off and the repair had to be made while the pipe was pressurized. We finally got it stopped. What a pain. The operators said they couldn't shut the pumps off, even for five minutes until Monday. And, they wanted the leak fixed last night. Fortunately they said those magic words "Whatever it costs". Yep, I'm a happy guy today. I think I'll go pick up that new Spectrum 375-X plasma cutter with my whatever-it-costs money.

NH3LVR
12-05-2007, 11:04 PM
If it is not a trade secret, how did you manage to weld it under pressure? Peen it shut and then weld?

US Iceman
13-05-2007, 12:58 AM
That sounds sort of like a hot tap, but to repair the leak instead of a branch line.:confused:

Josip
13-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi, Triggerman :)

The headquarters of a big name retailer called us Friday. A 14" condenser water line had sprung a leak and needed to be welded. No problem, huh? There was one tiny little challenge to it. The pumps pushing water through this line at right about 45 PSI couldn't be shut off and the repair had to be made while the pipe was pressurized. We finally got it stopped. What a pain. The operators said they couldn't shut the pumps off, even for five minutes until Monday. And, they wanted the leak fixed last night. Fortunately they said those magic words "Whatever it costs". Yep, I'm a happy guy today. I think I'll go pick up that new Spectrum 375-X plasma cutter with my whatever-it-costs money.

To be impossible to stop water for 5 minutes :confused:,(I do not believe), but...then

"Whatever it costs".

That's why show must go on...Once we did it on condenser's liquid ammonia pipe top side (plant was running:eek: and I was young (&stupid), but never again...can cost too much.

Best regards, Josip :)

Triggerman
15-05-2007, 03:03 AM
Generally speaking we would fix it like a hot tap, but the customer wanted a plate covering the leak to get back into the meaty part of the pipe and would not allow a hot tap type fitting. We welded on a plate to cover the leak. The weld wouldn't quite finish because of the pressure, so I drilled and tapped a hole for a 1/2" bolt. The pressure got relieved through the bolt hole and was easy to plug once the welding was done. Voila!

US Iceman
15-05-2007, 05:15 AM
OK, that sounds very similar to a reinforcing pad on a vessel. It is my understanding these have a drilled and tapped hole for inspection of the base material under the pad.

In your case, you used the hole as a pressure relieve port. A very ingenious use of this process. Good show!

4Qman
15-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Generally speaking we would fix it like a hot tap, but the customer wanted a plate covering the leak to get back into the meaty part of the pipe and would not allow a hot tap type fitting. We welded on a plate to cover the leak. The weld wouldn't quite finish because of the pressure, so I drilled and tapped a hole for a 1/2" bolt. The pressure got relieved through the bolt hole and was easy to plug once the welding was done. Voila!

Very clever indeed. I hope you wasnt too wet and cold :o