PDA

View Full Version : Difference between geo thermal and air to air

ianybeany
11-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi
I am wondering what is the difference between a geo thermal heatpump and say a normal air to air split, or even air to water ac unit? Is it something to do with the ground staying at a contast temp, allowing you to absorb that heat, and cut out the need for electic heaters to provide heat in outdoor units in extereme cold?
Any feed back would be most appriciated !

The Viking
11-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi
I am wondering what is the difference between a geo thermal heatpump and say a normal air to air split, or even air to water ac unit? Is it something to do with the ground staying at a contast temp, allowing you to absorb that heat, and cut out the need for electic heaters to provide heat in outdoor units in extereme cold?

Got it in one, as the ground stays warmer than the air, you will not only cut down the defrost but you will also gain higher efficiency.

The MG Pony
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Geothermal retains its COP year round and performs more uniformly, but has a higher initial install cost.

Air source fluctuates and looses its COP as the weather gets colder and thus is less efficient and then you have defrost cycles as well, but much cheaper initial install cost.

Long term Geothermal gives the best benefit for the dollar.

Josip
12-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi, Ianybeany :)

Hi

Please, use SEARCH button and type GSHP (ground source heat pump) then read all threads (about 20);)

Best regards, Josip :)

stuartsjg
27-08-2007, 08:32 PM
i note that people often confuse Ground Source with Geo-Thermal.

I think this is down to marketing of some systems and also media.

Geo-Thermal refers to heat from deep-inside the earth caused by volcanic activity and also just pressure of the earth on its-self. Generally only deep mines, oil wells, and the like go deep enough to get this heat.

Ground source is where you collect the latent heat outof the soil. This heat is transported mostly by water circulation.

Soil thermal conductivity is poor so a tiny amount of heat rises up from the hot gound underneath but its mostly from the sun and stored heat in the water/soil.

If you live in an area where volcanic activity is not far away then that. ground source will be more Geothermal than others

EDDC
24-02-2008, 12:15 AM
ground source is pretty well constant, a compromise but a good one; air to air is always what you don't need.
just a different way of saying what's been said before.

eddc