PDA

View Full Version : What can you do? :/

alpha
11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi, just thought I'd share an event and see what others would do about it. I have a feeling we have just washed our hands of this customer, or at least the transport manager, we shall be writing to the company's boss and informing him of the current gas regulations and such but I have a feeling that's not going to prove to be a positive thing either :rolleyes:

OK, so a day or two ago we looked at a Carrier Supra, not cooling, low gas. We advised that the vehicle was to be taken off road immediately, the remaining refrigerant reclaimed and the system leak tested. The customer asked and pleaded for us to top it up, this we had none of and remained persistent that the remaining charge needed reclaiming asap. The customer wasn't having none of it and pretty much asked us not to touch it if we were not willing to gas it up, he also then went onto say he would find someone, or knew a company that I shall not name to top it up so he could use it till next week.

Where do you stand in such a situation, if the customer doesn't authorise us to carry on with work, what can you do? I think on paper it could of been us that got into sh1t about it but if customer says no :confused:

Brian_UK
11-05-2007, 07:27 PM
It's a tricky situation for sure.

Unlike CORGI where you can report uncontrolled leaks to the gas supplier who comes and switches it off I think that the most you could do is report it to the Evironment Agency.

As it is an 'intentional' release of a controlled substance, namely a hazardous waste, they should jump pretty quickly.

I suppose the commercial aspect comes into it but it all depends on how correct and legal you want to be about it.

Glad I'm not in your shoes ;)

chillin out
11-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Nothing to be done, nobody cares.
(Except us)

This really pi$$es me off, our grandchildren's future is in our hands and everybody says we should be careful with the environment but nobody enforces any laws.

Gas usage/reclaiming/ownership should be highly monitored.
This would mean that Alpha's situation would never arise because there would be nowhere else the customer could take his wagon to get it 'topped up'.

It's high time we all took a stand and took it to the government to get proper laws passed.

(2 cans of lager and I'm going of on one already....lol)

Chillin:) :)

Brian_UK
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Chillin, can't read the yellow bits, try another colour;)

alpha
11-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Glad I'm not in your shoes ;)

Hi Brian, I agree, after a day in the rain they stink :D

This really pi$$es me off

Like wise chillin, I share your view on the matter for the reasons stated plus a few more.

There was a bit of a talk in camp today about shopping them in, but who, the customer that owns the vehicles, the company that may do the top up. Without hard evidence of any of the above events I kinda think it's going to be a lost case.:mad:

Brian_UK
12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
You report the customer, you are covered by your report sheets detailing the leakage etc (I hope).

Anyone else who tops the reefer up will be found by the EA.

reefermadness
12-05-2007, 01:57 AM
This happens all the time in Canada. Just today i a TK MD TLE come in nearly out of gas. The liquid line solenoid blew its seal. Its friday after hours. No seal is available in Canada for this unit. We'll have to get it air shipped next week. The customer argued with me for a good ten minutes. There is no way that i'm just topping up anything. Honestly its not because of the enviroment for myself, its that its illegal and gives a bad name. If people really start refusing to do this, then the industry might finally understand. As well, in Canada its a 50000 dollar fine to the mechanic, he looses his gov't issued liscense and the company is hit with a 500000 dollar fine. needless to say, its booked in monday morning. it always seems there is someone just around the corner willing to gas up anything. Cheap and Nasty. Thats the way truckers like it.

Reefermadness

clivemtk
12-05-2007, 07:19 AM
its usally in u\k the little person with big voice the man thats higher than a refrigeration engineer (transport manager)thats needs educating

Will
15-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Must of been a good size leak ?

alpha
17-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Not sure on the size, the oppertunity was not given to find out. At a wild guess it was prolly on condenser u tube or vibro.

The MG Pony
23-05-2007, 03:31 AM
not for our environment? Lovely mentality! Who needs air eh, breathing thats so out dated, and being in the sun with out being cooked what? Why on earth wouldn't you like 4th degree sun burns!

reefermadness
25-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Ah, the enviroment flame again. The only thing i say is that i hope all the people that speak of this issue back it up in their lifestyle, thats it. Its only my personal opinion, just being honest. You don't have to agree with me, just don't flame me. I didn't say anything towards you.

Have a good one.

Reefermadness

PS: i don't dump gas. thats not what i was getting to.:(

The Wanderer
25-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I had simular situation out of hours with an SLtci rear evap pipe seals leaking, usual suspect on them.
He was on the services fully loaded, pulled the H.P switches and drove away nothing more i could do!

The MG Pony
26-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh I do, I invest heavily in solar and alternative energy systems, I bike 90% of the time every where I go.

The thing that keeps you and your children and every other living thing alive on this planet should be the first thing one thinks of when they consider leaving their car idle, or when they think of lighting up a huge pile of rubber or such things, every thing means nothing if we damage the environment to the point it no longer sustains us, money and the like is all for not when such a thing becomes a reality!

IE It should be the first and for most reason on every ones mind long be for any other for not doing some thing. It is our most vital and precious resource is that which gives us our life!

LRAC
26-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh I do, I invest heavily in solar and alternative energy systems, I bike 90% of the time every where I go.

The thing that keeps you and your children and every other living thing alive on this planet should be the first thing one thinks of when they consider leaving their car idle, or when they think of lighting up a huge pile of rubber or such things, every thing means nothing if we damage the environment to the point it no longer sustains us, money and the like is all for not when such a thing becomes a reality!

IE It should be the first and for most reason on every ones mind long be for any other for not doing some thing. It is our most vital and precious resource is that which gives us our life!

their was a post earlier this month which included a link to watch an alternative view from top scientist on the theory that the rise in Co2 was nothing to do with the current effects on the environment, can't find it though.:o

We have all jumped on the C02 band wagon and i for one think its crap, time will tell if the earths environment is really being effected by us. Before you ask, yes i do as much as i can during my daily routine as a fridge guy to lessen the impact on the environment but it still doesn't stop me thinking its all pie in the sky.

The problem with all environmental policy's is the fact that goverments want votes and should be seen tobe doing things to help the environment. Remember the CND that was crap aswell.

Don't worry though another 10 years and they'll be finding something else thats going to cause a global threat, maybe beer and beans will be banned because it turns out to be methane.

It's Saturday night and i'm drinking copius amounts of Kronenbourg 1664 and thats why i have wrote the above, maybe you agree maybe you don't but i'm not too bothered at the moment and yes if it turns out tobe methane i'm adding loads tonight.

To all members out their just because the band wagons going past you don't have to get ON.

Regards
Lrac

The MG Pony
27-05-2007, 06:02 AM
It is not just the CO2 that is a factor, do you think the CFCs where crap too? Many did and even to this day insist on it. The scientists where right then and judging by the insurmountable evidence it is fact, the anti thesis's have been debunked & even if it is wrong why continue being waste full until it is a real issue? Poor logic I think.

Pascals wager if you will, if we are right it is worth every thing, and if we are wrong we have don great good, is it not better to error on the side of caution rather then continue blind and fool hardy?

coolerboy
09-06-2007, 12:50 AM
it seems that in the uk and well, other countries the laws governing the refrigeration trade are quite, well, hectic...

its common practice for most of the SA companies to just top up. scary isnt it. no governing whatsoever.

as an example, i have a customer that carries his own refrigerant with the truck (as well as other spares). luckilly most of the older harmfull gasses have been phased out, like R12 and R502 but yet there is still a ****load of vehicles on our roads still running on those gasses and when you inform a customer that u cant repair his unit due to lack of availabillity of refrigerant, he simply goes to the next guy until he gets what he wants....

so in short...
theres nothing you can really do about it, your customer will simply take his bussiness somewhere else and still bugger up the enviroment regardless.

soz mate.