PDA

View Full Version : HC Laws in Canada?

The MG Pony
10-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm trying to find more detail on this and locally we have squat for info, imagine a dark hole, thats what this town is!

Now best I have found so far there is no laws here in BC saying you can not use HC refrigerant in your Automotive AC, and that 300grams for stationary home equipment, but I want to get a far more detailed list of the laws for BC, Canada. Tried the net but end up with coming up with allot of garbage from the American side about how bad HC is in cars, or I get a bunch of "How to use HC In your car" from our side but still garbage non the less!

Any one have any links to a comprehensive list of laws that are detailed on the aplication and use of HC refrigerants for Canada, and if possible B.C. ?

reefermadness
12-05-2007, 01:48 AM
I dont' know what you talking about "HC"? I think what you are looking for is a drop in replacment for a/c auto? That would be R-414a. Its a direct drop in that is legal for use in Canada. I have had luck with many different refrigerants, but that is the best. I have used R-401a and R-401b, mind you the b is only good for domestic's that have big condenser's and receiver driers, but at the same time it cools like heck. R-500 works beautifully, but its too bad its "not available" anymore. Besides that would be "illegal". Thats the scoop.

ReeferMadness

The MG Pony
12-05-2007, 02:19 AM
No I'm not looking for any drop ins for auto or fridges I am looking for Hydrocarbon refrigerants and their use In Canada.

Thanks.

reefermadness
13-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Ok, sorry abit of brain freeze there. I don't think that Hydrocarbons are available yet. I have tried to get info on them from our supplier, but they are saying that they aren't available in Canada. I know i have been looking on the DuPont site checking them out. They have a good replacement for R-404a. R-404a isn't the best gas for open drive compressors in the extreme cold. Tends to leak badly after sitting a few days. I have no idea if they might be able to be imported or what the legal red tape.

If you find anything out, let me know.

Reefermadness

The MG Pony
13-05-2007, 11:26 PM
For home projects of small scale I use BBQ tank propane that I run through a cleaner system. So Hydrocarbons are very available right now, just not ideal purity. Using large filter drier and a oil bath you cycle the propane through the oil bath then the F/Ds you can clean out the moisture and the scenting agent, but you're left with the high ends and low ends of the HC gas

I only want info on the laws of the amount and applications that it is allowed for use in commercial/residential/industrial and such for example : 300 grammes per 100m^2 or some thing like that.

If I do finally find some info I'll be sure to post it here.

Brian_UK
13-05-2007, 11:35 PM
You have probably already seen these but a little Googling came up with these..

This has reference to Government links.
http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/WHS/WHS-PUB_ch058.pdf

Seems like AHSRA is the ruling article in Canada
http://www.arti-21cr.org/research/completed/exec-summaries/50025-es.pdf

The MG Pony
13-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Seen one but not the other, I seem to have some contradiction now <_< the ASHRA one says it can not be used domestic but some info I got says it can be used in domestic situations not exceeding X charge!

Why can't we have a simple logicly layed out site for this sort of thing! *sighs*

Brian_UK
14-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Why can't we have a simple logicly layed out site for this sort of thing! *sighs*
Come on, we're talking politicians and civil servants here, what else did you expect :D

Sledge
16-05-2007, 01:01 AM
I have been using a refrigerant called "duracool", which is a drop in replacement for 134a. It claims to be specifically designed for the automotive market, and claims that it is legal to vent it...I had some brochures on the stuf, but didnt research it any further. I will try and find it.
I was going to use it exclusively in refrigeration applications, but couldnt find a lot of history on it, and unfortunately no history, often means no profits.

I couldnt find anything prohibitting the use of propane as a refrigerant in Canada. I bet that if you investigate the rules restricting the use of Ammonia, and sulphur dioxide you will find that it is covered under those rules. I also would bet that if the thing blows up, your insurance won't cover you, as you are not following "standard work practice" in Canada. I would bet that in order to do it, you would require licensing for propane, not sure what license is needed for propane fired fridges, I think it is covered by TSSA gas fitter requirements. I do know that they have the rules written in such a way that it is your responsibility to prove that you didnt break the rules. Basically you are guilty of an infraction, if something goes wrong, until you prove that you are innocent.

The MG Pony
16-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Sounds convoluted enough to be correct knowing our laws.
Thanks for the info!

mecassa
08-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Sorry for this belatedly late reply, have you guys checked the B-52 Mechanical Refrigeration Code? Lots of legal lingo and the sorts.

Cheers

The MG Pony
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
ok will try and find that. Ty.

theboss
02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
bunch of companies are making HC replacement for R12 and R22. For Canada you can check redtek [dot] com

The MG Pony
02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
yes for automotive I know there are no laws re-guarding its use, I have found more info stating 300grams and under is legal for stationary domestic, I need to hunt more info on the design requirements for it and for its use in small comercial refrigeration equipment.

Thanks for trying though I do appreciate it.