PDA

View Full Version : Disposable Cans of R12

alexdouglas1969
09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
What would be the best way to dispose of 15 disposable cans of R12? :eek:

How much are these old refrigerants changing hands for now?

LRAC
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
You'll be lucky to get rid of them unless you export them.

Regards
Lrac:( :( :(

Brian_UK
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
The ONLY safe and legal way is to take them for disposal to an authorised waste handler.

Unless you are authorised to transport hazardous waste you cannot move it anywhere other than to a disposal site.

Sorry, no quick bucks to be made.

Karl Hofmann
09-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Even among the automotive guys, R12 has limited apeal since even the newest R12 car is 13 years old and is hense a banger and most owners just wont pay premium prices to fix them. I'm sure that someone will buy them off you but as is already stated it is illegal.

glennac8
10-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Check out ebay if they are still full. You could get a lot more with a 30 lb can though.

Peter_1
10-05-2007, 06:52 AM
If you get caught in Belgium with R12, they could send you to prison for that or give you a huge fine for this :eek:

The MG Pony
10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Pretty much The same in Canada Very strict.

Argus
10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
You'll be lucky to get rid of them unless you export them.

Regards
Lrac:( :( :(

It is illegal to do anything with any CFC in the UK (and the European Union for that matter), other than to get it all professionally and legally detroyed.

As it is in cans, not in a working system, it is technically Hazardous Waste. The penalties are strict, though I would venture that for small quantities it should not be expensive to dispose of it properly provided that you can prove that you came by it legally.
It is definitely illegal to trade it, so forget e bay.

As it is waste, export to anywhere is out of the question. It is illegal to cross any border with this stuff without transfer documents (and that includes England - Scotland).

Andy W
10-05-2007, 06:46 PM
As you are a refrigeration engineer according to your profile you should already know the answers regarding what to do with the gas, you can not sell it and you should be aware of that, you probably already have a reclaim machine and an arrangement of some description with an wholesaler who will supply you with a recovery cylinder which you will fill and return it to your wholesaler with all the necessary paperwork completed including your premises code which is on your waste transfer licence ............. you do work by the book I presume.

alexdouglas1969
13-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Andy W - read again your honour, I have no R12

Brian_UK
13-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Andy W - read again your honour, I have no R12Sorry, your first infers that you have 15 disposable cans of R12.:confused:

If you are trying to say that you only have the empty containers then perhaps you should have said so at the beginning:mad: