PDA

View Full Version : Sabroe SMC 112 Mk4 water cooled

Josip
08-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi, all :)

This compressor has about 32000 working hours. still running good on ammonia at -10C/+35C (14F/95F).

From your experience when an overhaul must be done?

Which set of spare parts to use now A or B if is not time for overhaul - service C?

Thanks for help.

Best regards, Josip :)

SIGNSTU
08-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I Don't Know About A Or B But I Would Yank One Head And Look At The Valves And Go From There. I Would Also Clean All The Water Jackets. I Have The Smc 106 And Iam Trying To Find An Oil Filter Other Than Oem. At $300.00+ Us There Has To Be Something Else Out There

SteveDixey
17-07-2007, 11:44 PM

This compressor has about 32000 working hours. still running good on ammonia at -10C/+35C (14F/95F).

Which set of spare parts to use now A or B if is not time for overhaul - service C?

Thanks for help.

Now you are having to buy kits rather than the individual spares, it pretty much means go by the book unless you want piles of odd unused spares lying around.

I found Sabroe's could run up to 10 000 or even 12 000 hours before needing valve replacement on a steady state application such as a cold store. However, on process applications with "warm" starts and varying loads, I used to start looking for problems at 8 000 hours on valves.

I'd do the "A" service and take the opportunity to check some of the more highly loaded components. If they look OK, leave alone, otherwise order a "B" kit and tackle that work later.

If there are any cylinders running off-loaded for much of the time, I'd target them for some extra attention as they get quite hot.

I could confidently leave the crank assembly and the rest until maybe 40 000 hours. Never had worn out pistons, liners or rings until maybe 100 000 hours, and only then on the hotter or more highly loaded cylinders.

The other option is to do a big service now, measure wear rates, etc and then predict if you can run longer before you open it up again.

Steve

SteveDixey
18-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I Don't Know About A Or B But I Would Yank One Head And Look At The Valves And Go From There. I Would Also Clean All The Water Jackets. I Have The Smc 106 And Iam Trying To Find An Oil Filter Other Than Oem. At $300.00+ Us There Has To Be Something Else Out There

In the UK, I could get the old-style pleated paper filters made, but I had to order a minimum of either 12 or 20 (can't remember exactly). For that number, the price was around 50% of the OEM, but you still then needed gaskets that were only supplied in the kit.

I spent a fair bit of time digging around as quite often, OEM filters are supplied by a filter manufacturer who will have something on the shelf to match filtration \ flow specifications specified by Sabroe or whoever.

Once Sabroe (spit York) moved to the steel mesh "nut and bolt catchers" as opposed to the "proper" filters, I used to clean out these and reuse them. If your oil was kept clean and no metal was circulating around the system, they rarely clogged up so badly to need dumping.

Saying that will a $300 OEM filter save you $Ouch! repair bill? Do you feel lucky? Well do you? To quote a well known US film star ;)

Steve

Sinke
19-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks for help.

...Bok Josipe...
...Do you have SMC100 compressors.....
...thanks...

NH3KIWI
20-10-2007, 04:12 AM
i have put fram (deisel oil filters )in mk 1&2 smc they work fine or there is a company in australia called iseco they will sell ripped sabroe spares.

NH3KIWI
20-10-2007, 04:16 AM
the overhaul hours for most sabroe comps is 40000 but if im not mistaken they have changed that to 35000 so 32000 is fine
remember 5000hours oil filter

Josip
20-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Bok Sinke :)

...Bok Josipe...
...Do you have SMC100 compressors.....
...thanks...

Sorry for late replay, have been for long time in Vietnam in that time (after that in India) and somehow miss this post. It is originally mine, but later on client decide to buy new compressors...*****:eek::mad:.

No I do not have...;), I am working like industrial supervisor engineer...mostly with ammonia plants with all kinds of compressors..

Wish to thanks to all for good suggestions. Maybe need them for some other job...

Sinke
21-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Bok Sinke :)

Sorry for late replay, have been for long time in Vietnam in that time (after that in India) and somehow miss this post. It is originally mine, but later on client decide to buy new compressors...*****:eek::mad:.

No I do not have...;), I am working like industrial supervisor engineer...mostly with ammonia plants with all kinds of compressors..

Wish to thanks to all for good suggestions. Maybe need them for some other job...

...OK...
...thanks anyway...
...new boss arived so,everything changed...
...I have one question,is Frigostroj Zagreb is still exist...