PDA

View Full Version : Compressor not working..

mag
07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Hello all I'm new here as if you can't tell;)

My Samsung SRG-268 has stopped working:mad: I'm good at fixing things but have no trade.

The compressor has stopped running, so put my hand on the comp and it's hot.
I listen and hear the relay click on and the comp hums for a bit then the relay shuts off again.
I let it cool over night and still the same so started playing doc and can get the comp to run for a few secs then relay cuts in again.

So do you guy think that the comp is gone??

Thanks M:D

LRAC
07-05-2007, 02:57 PM
its a dead cert it's gone to fridge heaven.

regards
Lrac

mag
07-05-2007, 03:09 PM
its a dead cert it's gone to fridge heaven.

regards
Lrac

Thanks for that, I thought so but didn't want it to be.:(

But on that note what do you recommend a new unit or new compressor?

noushad123
07-05-2007, 03:25 PM
you check the amps with clamp meter is more then compressor ratings amps ''compressor faulty'' less then that it is ''overload faulty'' pleaae check properly

mag
07-05-2007, 03:38 PM
you check the amps with clamp meter is more then compressor ratings amps ''compressor faulty'' less then that it is ''overload faulty'' pleaae check properly

Thankyou but I don't have a clamp meter (would love to have one) so If I bypass the overload and test again, sounds ok to me.:rolleyes:

noushad123
07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Thankyou but I don't have a clamp meter (would love to have one) so If I bypass the overload and test again, sounds ok to me.:rolleyes:

you can bypass the overload but you want change the 3pin plug fuse and put 2amps fuse because 3pin plug fuse normaly 13amps and keep run

LRAC
07-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for that, I thought so but didn't want it to be.:(

But on that note what do you recommend a new unit or new compressor?

OK i may have jumped to a answer but it is a bank holiday, yes you can short out the overload but be prepared for the fuse to blow? it's quite possible that the overload has failed it could have been caused by the overheat sensor or the amperage sensor.

In my view you will still need to replace the compressor,it might be worth while investigating the price of a new outdoor unit sometimes it cheaper.

Kind regards
Lrac

Brian_UK
07-05-2007, 11:11 PM
If the overload has failed then it is because the compressor has killed it, this means that the compressor is not at all well.

I don't know the age of your unit but sometimes these compressors will run and run. However when they get worn then as long as they are running all is well.

When they next stop is when the trouble starts, the bearings are shot and put a great strain on the motor which pushes the overload. This keeps happening and over time the overload is worn as well as the compressor.

My personal choice would be to replace the whole thing. You may get someone to replace the compressor but they will also need to replace some of the pipework and filters without really being able to provide a 100% guarantee that the thing will keep working.

The worn out compressor will have spread all sorts of contamination around the system that is very hard to remove.

Weigh up the costs of a repair against the price of a new unit with manufacturers warranty etc. and make your choice.

chillin out
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
you can bypass the overload but you want change the 3pin plug fuse and put 2amps fuse because 3pin plug fuse normaly 13amps and keep run
2 Amps will run a comp? seems a bit low to me.

@Mag, please do not 'bypass' the overload. If it is clicking in and out then as Brian says, the comp will have failed.

Time for a new fridge, unless it's a really expensive one then it might be worth replacing the comp.

Chillin:) :)

Temprite
08-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Hello all I'm new here as if you can't tell;)

My Samsung SRG-268 has stopped working:mad: I'm good at fixing things but have no trade.

The compressor has stopped running, so put my hand on the comp and it's hot.
I listen and hear the relay click on and the comp hums for a bit then the relay shuts off again.
I let it cool over night and still the same so started playing doc and can get the comp to run for a few secs then relay cuts in again.

So do you guy think that the comp is gone??

Thanks M:D

It could be just a faulty relay, but probably not.

mag
08-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Ok thanks guys for your help + advice, so shopping for a new one I'll be..:(

Anyone need some parts- near new thermostat, seals, hinges, P.T.C relay, defrost timer, door switch, fan- motor, shelves, bins, doors..

M...

setrad7791
08-05-2007, 06:03 PM
It could just be a faulty overload... but with out amp testing it your playing with fire! you could burn out the existing wiring and cause a FIRE! Call a tradesmen!!!!!

mag
09-05-2007, 03:31 PM
It could just be a faulty overload... but with out amp testing it your playing with fire! you could burn out the existing wiring and cause a FIRE! Call a tradesmen!!!!!

Hi this bypass I suggested was only to test If it was faulty and not to leave like that, also to be done outside:eek:

Thanks for the warning but..