PDA

View Full Version : Burying CO2 in cold storage

Josip
06-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi,

Surfing around came to this site;

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/02/07/co2-storage.html

Maybe this is not new info for all, but for some...

What do you think, is this going be the same problem like burying fuel from nuclear power stations.

Best regards, Josip :)

US Iceman
07-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Well it was only a matter of time before came up with this idea. I'm not surprised by this development but wonder how much volume it would take to store all of the CO2 generated in a day.

The next thing will be someone suggesting we turn it into dry ice and shoot it into outer space!

I have seen something that says methane is potentially more problamatic than CO2 and someone was trying to get the diets changed for cows so they did not release as much "gas"!

Perhaps someone will next suggest we have to have a vapor condensing system atached to cows to reclaim this gas!:D

This is going to get worse before it gets better I'm afraid. Maybe Al Gore has a plan...:p

chillin out
07-05-2007, 12:21 AM
The next thing will be someone suggesting we turn it into dry ice and shoot it into outer space!
I was just about to say that...lol

It's a good idea I thought.

Chillin:) :)

US Iceman
07-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Well think about the cost effectiveness. It probably takes something like $200k per pound of material lifted into orbit. And then, how much CO2 is produced when the rocket engines ignite?

Any idea to control global warming HAS to be cost effective and practical.

This is about the same thing as saying we have to refrigerate the glaciers to keep them from melting! That's just junk science at work.

Josip
07-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Hi, US Iceman :)

Well think about the cost effectiveness. It probably takes something like $200k per pound of material lifted into orbit. And then, how much CO2 is produced when the rocket engines ignite?

Any idea to control global warming HAS to be cost effective and practical.

This is about the same thing as saying we have to refrigerate the glaciers to keep them from melting! That's just junk science at work.

The same story when we come to pump out 200 grams of ***** from old fridge.

How much electrical energy we have to use i.e. to burn fossil fuel and generate CO2:confused:

Maybe we have to think over about some laws... see my sig - second line;)

US Iceman
07-05-2007, 02:44 AM
How much electrical energy we have to use i.e. to burn fossil fuel and generate CO2:confused:

That is a good point to make. From what I have seen about ethanol production it takes more energy to produce it, than what you get out out of it.

How effective is that? It's only cost effective if it is subsidized!

Josip
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi, US Iceman :)

That is a good point to make. From what I have seen about ethanol production it takes more energy to produce it, than what you get out out of it.

How effective is that? It's only cost effective if it is subsidized!

Do you mean something like this:

Impose some questionable laws and then clean that sh*t with public money;)

verb transitive
: to furnish with a subsidy: as
a : to purchase the assistance of by payment of a subsidy

b : to aid or promote (as a private enterprise) with public money <subsidize soybean farmers> <subsidize public transportation>

This is very popular habit in my country too;)

I call that anarchy in democracy:mad:

US Iceman
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Josip,

You have a good understanding of how things work.:p

All of this type of political "hurry up and fix the problem" almost always end up costing the consumers and taxpayers.

This is what I'm afraid will happen with this global warming stuff everyone is getting excited about. Once people get excited (or think they will gain something from it:mad: ) they will start telling us how they will fix the problem and then we have to pay for it. Once it's a law, it does not have to make sense, we just have to do it!:(

My suggestion to all of this is: If it is such a good idea, let the politicians pay for with their own money, not mine.

When the costs are reasonable to me, I can decide if I want to purchase it. Now that's democracy at it's best.:D

The MG Pony
07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Shooting stuff into space is shooting our selfs in the foot! Remember This planet and our biology evolved in a semi-closed system, all the gasses and such are needed as they are. We need to stop reducing Forrest and produce less CO2 not just half assed patch the problem :)

Money is useless when all life is dead! which is the end result when any large system starts freewheeling out of control. What we should demand how ever is the laws and policy made be very well defined, researched and thought out with a clear flow chart of implementation.

I agree ethanol is a poor choice, it is renewable that in of its self how ever does not make it good, that is very 2-bit logic, Hydrogen is far better as it is a completely balanced fuel, it forms water when burnt, and it consumes water to be made. Thus consumption Vs production is balanced. This too how ever is energy intensive to produce, but it can be produced by Nuclear/Wind/Solar/Geothermal steam.

Currently our best bet is to Put more nuclear plants into operation, at least this way the Atmosphere can begin to repair its self with greatly reduced CO2 production, with the nuclear as a stop gap we start building a hydrogen infrastructure and refine and stream line the technology to produce hydrogen/store it/use it, while at the same time put more serious research into fusion energy.

There is no way I can condense the 4 plus years I have been researching this and developing, into a single post but this is just a tiny glimpse of a refined plan that is practical in its immediate implementation.

Right this very second any of you can make/buy a wind mill or buy a new or used solar cell and make your self a hydrogen generating system, hook that up to your hot water tank, or invest in a gas stove that burns hydrogen (Easier to do when single due to reduced energy usage of one person) Right now I am slowly building up such a system, you may recall my post about the instant gas water heater! There are so many ways this very second you can reduce your immediate dependence on fossil fuels!