PDA

View Full Version : my first books

starman
10-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Looks like this poped up as I was on line so I get to be first :)

My first book was by M.E.Anderson and was called Questtions and Answers on Refrigeration. It is a pocket book and served me well.

My second book was by F.H.Meredith and was called Refrigeration Technicians Pocket book.

Again, not going into great depth but helped me on on those lonely stand by nights.

[Edited by starman on 10-03-2001 at 08:01 PM]

WebRam
10-03-2001, 03:53 PM
Well Starman, you might be first here, but I boobed when I was moving a thread over to this area and deleted 6 posts on Refrigeration books :( so you are really 7th ;) but thanks for posting so quick :) :)

[Edited by WebMaster on 10-03-2001 at 04:46 PM]

Dan
11-03-2001, 12:15 AM
For me it was the Copeland Fundamental series. Four blue books... application, equipment, fundamentals and perhaps service. A factory field service engineer gave me them and told me that would be all I have to learn. Hahaha.

Next it was Refrigeration and Air Conditioning by Althouse, Turnquist, and Bracciano. The staple of our Trade schools at that time, in the US. I loved finding errors in it, but it opened my eyes to the many levels of refrigeration and air conditioning. More importantly, controls.

Next for me were the Carrier training manuals and casette tapes. In my opinion, the best technical writing done in the field, for unlearned yet desirous apprentices.

Somewhere along the way I wrote a manual or two, and I think did a fair job, although it was product and corporation specific.

And ironically, the ASHRAE Fundamentals became an encylopedia for me. Because it plumbed the trade and widened my perspective of refrigeration and air conditioning. Trane, Dunham Bush, and other books come to mind, but the others are the ones that moved me about.

And it started with the 4 blue Copeland manuals a guy handed me and told me that was all I needed to learn. In many ways, he was right.

I see other fine stuff out there that goes unapplauded. In California, when Con-edison, a utility company bought up some service companies, a pretty sharp fellow put together a training seminar that had its feet planted firmly in the machine room, yet didn't disobey any theoretical rules.

Hill corporation did a great job with some training tapes about 18 years ago. I cannot remember the name of the program. But it was good. It got into how many turns you apply to a valve to achieve approximate changes. Good stuff for apprentices.

One thing I haven't seen, is an electrical troubleshooting book worth anything.

Dan

Dan
11-03-2001, 01:37 AM
How do I get that book, online?

Dan

subzero*psia
11-03-2001, 02:49 AM
I hated my first book... Principles of Refrigeration by Roy Dossat! We had a hard core professor that could quote him like most priests can quote the bible, and he loved to do it too. All of us hated our first year... but we did learn, we had to or lose all our money we spent to go there.

After my first year though was when Dossat really became useful to me, and I understood why we had it drummed into us. Now I would never say that I hate it, but I do wish I had as much desire as I did then.

My oldest book that I know of (also is my favorite)at this moment is Volume V, Cyclopedia of Engineering published by the American Technical Society in 1920. Illustrated with over 2000 engravings. I have 4 of 7 volumes... weird thing is, I bought these before I ever went to college and forgot that I even had them. I will let you in on a secret... them old timers knew just as much if not more than we do today... not much has really changed other than the refrigerants and then not all of them have changed either. Matter of fact Marc, inside the front cover is an engraving of a 3 cylinder variable-volume air compressor... I know that is a pet project for you ~ :p ~.

subzero*psia
11-03-2001, 03:02 AM
Hey that is the motto of the companies today... SIMPLIFY. Not that it is necessarily bad, but it takes away from the quality.

slloyd
11-03-2001, 03:49 PM
Modern refrigeration & air conditioning a large user friendly hardback manuall, any ex Walkers Refrigeration apprentices will agree, only thing missing in that book now would be info guide on scrolls etc, an absolute must for beginners.ARE THERE ANY APPRENTICES OUT THERE,IM SURE THERE EXTINCET

WebRam
11-03-2001, 04:24 PM
who is the author simon?

slloyd
11-03-2001, 04:36 PM
Sorry the author of modern refrigeration is Andrew d althouse'b.s {me.e}' m.a , south holland illinios usa.

Dan
11-03-2001, 09:38 PM
Naturally everything you guys recommend is either out of print or cost a small fortune. Regardless, I have orders in for all of them. I figure it is never too late to learn. Or maybe I just hope that.:)

WebRam
11-03-2001, 09:52 PM
I would just like to congratulate Dan Dan on his promotion to Improver

Well done Dan Dan .... do we have to say your name twice ;)

Dan
11-03-2001, 11:54 PM
Actually, actually, this, this, monicker, monicker, became, became, mine, mine, because, because, I, I, typed, typed, my, my, name, name, twice, twice, by, by, accident, accident, on, on, a, a, post, post, to, to, the, the, Fridgetech, Fridgetech, discussion, discussion, board, board.

I just noticed that I sent a personal letter to alt.hvac newsgroups by error. This is supremely embarrassing. Perhaps I should be called Dan Dan.

I once told my mom how happy I was that she named me Dan, because everybody calls me by that name. What luck!
:)

I hired a Brit a few years ago, struggling with green cards and all. Nice fellow who presented himself well, but who was clearly over his head with servicing equipment, much to my chagrin, since he came aboard as a supervisor. He wanted to instill the word "improver" for a classification we didn't really have a word for. It struck me as an odd term, yet not a bad word, for describing progress. I suppose I am used to "apprentice" and "journeyman" and I am not sure what comes next. Perhaps "master." Three stages of growth doesn't seem adequate to me. Perhaps, Improver, improver? :)

I don't have a problem with anybody calling me anything as long as they can smile and not point a weapon at me while doing it. My official name is Dan. I just checked with mom, mom.

acman
09-04-2001, 03:12 AM
Anyone know where to find refigeration system simulators on line? I have used them before but can't seem to locate.Great training tool.

WebRam
09-04-2001, 04:39 AM
follow the links on www,refrigeration-engineer,com main pages, you should find them there,

neilhuxley
17-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Could someone advise me on a good book, im looking to learn all basic refrigeration, explaining how to charge up compressors and explaining how the compressor works etc thanx