PDA

View Full Version : data rooms

techni
05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Whats the best method to cool data rooms ?

Brian_UK
05-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Just so that we get the wording right, what do you classify as a 'Data Room', what sort of equipment is within it?

NoNickName
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
CCU = Close control units.

Jase
06-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Some sort of air conditioning... perhaps?:rolleyes:

techni
06-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Just so that we get the wording right, what do you classify as a 'Data Room', what sort of equipment is within it?

servers for telecom (not blade servers) at present served by 3 uniflair dx downflow units which are tempermental. So our customer is looking for alternatives.
Load approx. 240kW

NoNickName
06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
servers for telecom (not blade servers) at present served by 3 uniflair dx downflow units which are tempermental. So our customer is looking for alternatives.
Load approx. 240kW

www.montair.it

Sledge
08-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Downflow units? I assume from this that you are referring to a data room with a raised floor.

The unit that I have worked with the most frequently is made by Liebert. They make downflow units, and also chillers for cooling mainframes etc.

For up flow units, there is a variety of units I have seen, Carrier, ComfortAire, Chrysler, not certain if Liebert makes them.

Liebert is truly the Cadillac of units IMO.

My question would be...why are the units that you have temperamental?

techni
08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
FALSE ALARMS : EG. LOSS OF AIR FLOW, FIRE AND SMOKE, WATER, HP, LP , ALL FALSE WHEN CHECKED OUT.
Downflow units? I assume from this that you are referring to a data room with a raised floor.

The unit that I have worked with the most frequently is made by Liebert. They make downflow units, and also chillers for cooling mainframes etc.

For up flow units, there is a variety of units I have seen, Carrier, ComfortAire, Chrysler, not certain if Liebert makes them.

Liebert is truly the Cadillac of units IMO.

My question would be...why are the units that you have temperamental?

NoNickName
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
All digital inputs, then. I would check the voltage between common and input. If the transformer is weak, then the low voltage may be interpreted as open input.
Also the connectors and wire terminals must be checked against proper insertion.
Power surges may cause EMI on signals cables of DIs, too.

Jase
08-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Have you considered Airedale? Many models available to suit all applications.

Regards
Jase

Lowrider
08-05-2007, 09:38 PM
What brand are in there now?

ConDor
13-05-2007, 07:24 PM
We always use Stulz downflow units, and a propane chiller. It is a professionel product, that would satisfy most engineers. I have also tryed Airblue, Montair, Airdale...you name it. Stulz is the best. It has got plenty of servicing space, and a vlt controlled fan.

chiller-man
13-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Condor, I Don't know anybody over here in the uk that uses propane!
Airedale "alphacool" or "easycool" downflow DX is a good choice, with or without humidification, good units, good controls!

airconadam
21-05-2007, 05:59 PM
ihave installed a few airedale but the underfloor blow ones but u can get them to blow in all directions anyway, cools the comms room in no time adam

DVaider
22-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi to everyone! I think that every VRF (maybe,Daikin-VRV) system is the best solution of this problem:)

Abby Normal
24-05-2007, 12:36 AM
High airflow

Blow through coils

Proper air distribution

coolments
24-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi if your thinking of upgrading to new then i would suggest Airedale or Eaton Willams kit due to there good spares & technical back up being uk manufacturers.

But with regards to all the false alarms on the present kit, are all alarms flashing on all units or different ones on each, are the units linked together so one common alarm is registered on all units ??. Not familiar with this kit but maybe the parameters of the alarms are not set correct for what ever reason or maybe a bit of paitence is required looking for bad eletrical connections after all most fault voltage wiring usually starts from one place (transformer assuming this has been checked from earlier post). And then is networked around the unit in a mixture of parralell and series wiring through various protection devices (also assumming this kit is old and has an electronic controller but all the protection devices are electro mechanical).

Also check under the floor for maybe a restriction of the air distribution, maybe a new cable tray has been installed across the room full of cables nicely blocking flow causing the units to throw up various faults, air flow, Lp ect.

Dont give up on the old kit yet if your like me and just love scrathing your head on site and having a old mooch around, its not always the units fault there has to be a reason.

Sledge
25-05-2007, 10:20 PM
FALSE ALARMS : EG. LOSS OF AIR FLOW, FIRE AND SMOKE, WATER, HP, LP , ALL FALSE WHEN CHECKED OUT.

I am assuming that the fire and smoke alarm is local to the unit, not a separate fire alarm system.

For all 3 of the units to be generating these false faults;
-there must be either a common element that is causing these faults to be displayed, or
-there must be a design/installation flaw within the installation.

The nature of these faults makes me think that there is a design/installation problem, not a common element. I am assuming these are 3 stand alone units, and am doubting that there is a loose connection in all 3 units.

A problem with air flow within the raised floor would not cause a HP alarm, nor would it cause a water leak alarm, regardless of what may have changed in the raised floor.

You havent indicated any problem with the mechanical components. If the units are functioning and cooling, and the pressures/temperatures are all ok, then I would be hesitant about condemning all 3 units.
I would consider that this is a control issue only.

I would have a good look at the control circuit, with the attitude that there is a mistake there somewhere.
-Check the inrush current of all the contactor coils, and compare the totals to the VA of the control transformer. The transformer must be more than big enough to carry all of the coil inrush currents that it will see at any one time. Often the control transformer supplied with a unit is not big enough to power the remote condensor contactor, or remote devices.
-Check and see if the control board electronics are powered by the control transformer that powers the contactor coils. If this is the case, add in seperate dedicated transformers that are dedicated to powering the control boards electronics only. I would do this first!
-Check the output voltage from the transformer. I dont know what voltages you deal with in Europe, but we encounter various voltages in Canada, and it is easy to get the wrong voltage control transformer.
-Check and see if the secondary of the transformer is grounded, and then check the specs and see if it should be, sometimes it is a requirement, and sometimes it is a no-no, depending on the design of the circuit board.
-If it should be grounded, make certain that the correct side of the transformer is grounded.

Are the HP and LP sensors electronic, or are they simply control contacts? Is the TX electronic? If no to both...
Since this is nothing more than a glorified air conditioner, in a fancy box, I would disconnect the high tech controls, run it temporarily off a return air stat placed in front of the filters, with a temporary HP safety. If you can do this in a way that maintains power to the electronics, but doesnt allow them to trip the unit out, you will be able to run the units, and monitor the control faults at the same time.