PDA

View Full Version : Spolan OilMaster

Richard
16-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Spolan OilMaster is an oil managment system designed for scroll compressors in a multi-compressor configeration. We have experienced of late multiple failiures. The failiures have been mainly not filling which if not caught result in loss of compressor. It also adds to the problem by being the alarm inbuilt into the OilMaster. Other problems are over filling and constsant alarms has anyone else experenced these problems.

WebRam
16-07-2002, 04:34 PM
sounds like a question that the Proffesor will gladly handle for you ;)

Prof Sporlan
18-07-2002, 02:06 AM
Perhaps the Prof should start with a bit of history here...

Sporlan marketed an electronic oil level control called the TRAXOIL around 1996 or so. The device was actually developed by Traxon Corp. of Australia, and it uses a Hall effect sensor to determine oil level.

For numerous reasons, Sporlan and Traxon parted ways, and the TRAXOIL is now being marketed by Alco.

The Oil Master was developed about 3 years ago the fill the gap. It uses a microwave imaging radar sensor to determine oil level.

The Prof, however, isn't the company expert on this control, but he'll research this issue if given the particulars.

Dan
18-07-2002, 04:16 AM
I would like to digress, for a moment, and just applaud the professor for his honesty and candidness (if that is a word).

Professor Sporlan steps up to the plate on so many forums. Where is Professor Copeland? Professor Alco? Etc.

I am not professor Hussmann. But the scroll compressors lack a proper oil failure safety control. It is that simple.

Oops... I shifted my digression without notice.

Dan

Dan

Richard
29-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Dan

With all due respect we are paying good money for a product that the manufacturers claim solve the problem of oil managment on scroll compressors and in the past the faliure rate of this particular product was very good until about a year ago.

Richard

Dan
29-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Richard, the smaller scrolls have an excellent track record with me as well. I have had a tremendous failure rate with 10 hp and above, to discover that our separators did not have sufficient reservoir capacity. We have added additional reservoirs and the problem has gone away.

My point is, that the Trax-oil would feed oil and if it could not keep up, turn the compressor off until the level was satisfied, and then turn the compressor on again. This was insufficient to protect the compressors.

As a float valve for feeding oil it might be okay (except for the steel debris that collects on the magnets, causing feeding failures) but as an oil failure control it leaves much to be desired.

I don't have any familiarity with the Sporlan control, but it sounds like it shares the same flaw as the Traxoil: For one reason or another both permit the compressor to run when it has insufficient lubrication.

Richard
31-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Dan

The Oilmaster is slightly different to the Traxoil in that it should not reset its self once tripped.

We have recently trialed a oil managment system for Henry which seems to be reasonable.

We only really use oil managment on compressors lower than 10hp so I have never seen the problem you discribed.

We had been using the Oilmaster for a few years and have not had significant problems with it untill a year ago and only with the new installs it seem like a component problem.

Richard

750 Valve
22-11-2002, 09:43 AM
I don't know how most people overseas are using the Traxoil system, I have no experience with the Sporlan product but to me it sounds like they share the same common problem... misuse. The Traxoil is an Oil LEVEL control system, not oil PRESSURE control.
We use the Traxoil to control the oil levels in Bitzer, Copeland and Bock compressors ( I must admit though, not scrolls) on our racks. The Traxoils have a removable strainer (Like a small Danfoss TXV) this is usually not sufficient protection for the Traxoil, you still need a filter/strainer upstream of the Traxoil, we use Sporlan ROF oil filters. This along with a oil pressure switch and a decent reservoir are still needed to protect the compressor from lubrication problems.
As far as the alarm on the Traxoil goes, we wire this back to an input on the controls system to alarm after a 10 min time limit, NOT stop the compressor, the oil safety switch is wired to drop the comp control circuit in case of traxoil failure or strainer blockage.
In commissioning a new system with Traxoils, you should, as always, keep the oil clean. Change it if you have to. Always REPLACE the main oil strainer/filter after commissioning and always clean the Traxoil strainers and comp sump strainer (all this should be done anyway) and you will have a trouble free oil control system.
I can't say I've ever found one or heard of a faulty Traxoil that led to a compressor failure, I've heard of a few people finding them faulty but for the number in the field - on nearly every comp in every supermarket in Australia - a few failures are to be expected.