PDA

View Full Version : remove

steveb
01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
hi guys i have purchased a panel van with a refrigeration unit on the roof. is it easy to remove ? if so how ?

thanks
steve:eek:

Brian_UK
01-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you MUST do to comply with the law is to check the system degassed. This may require the services of a vehicle air conditioning technician. Check your local Yellow Pages.

After that the removal should be reasonably straightforward.

I will repeat, do not proceed without having had the refrigerant removed; apart from the legal side you could injure yourself by the uncontrolled release of the gas. In liquid form especially it will cause severe frostbight, you lose finger tips etc.:(

The roof mounted unit is probably just the condenser coil and cooling fans. Remove any covers and you should see some hoses connected to the coil with a screwed connector ( a bit like a plumbing joint, only better;) ), undo those and remove the remaining bits and pieces.

Inside the truck you will find the evaporator with similar pipe connections, release those and you're almost there. ;)

Now, in the engine compartment you will find a compressor that is driven via a belt from the engine and assorted bits of pipework.

Use a atch tray of some sort because when you undo the connectors on the compressor you will probably have some oil to drain out.

You should then be able to remove all the bits of tube and hose and cable that are remaining which just leaves all the holes to fill in:) .

Have fun with it Steve and seriously, take care - injury is not worth the effort;)

lana
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi steveb,

I suggest that you do exactly as Brian said otherwise you will hurt yourself or the others.
Apart from that you can be fined a lot if you let the refrigerant into the atmosphere.
Good luck
Cheers

Peter_1
02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Drive your car under a bridge which isn't high enough

Brian_UK
02-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Drive your car under a bridge which isn't high enough:D :D :D ;) :D :)