PDA

View Full Version : Rep Power

marc5180
29-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Guys, iv been reading through the posts and have noticed that the peeps on here have different numbers of rep pwer assigned to their profile...Not sure what they mean... Mine says i have a rep power of 2... what does this mean?

Latte
29-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Guys, iv been reading through the posts and have noticed that the peeps on here have different numbers of rep pwer assigned to their profile...Not sure what they mean... Mine says i have a rep power of 2... what does this mean?

Marc,

On each post you will see some scales, If someone has given you a good/correct/detailed explanation of a problem you can give them a rep point. You will see that the guys who have been on a long time and moderators will have a higher rep power as obviously they have helped answer more questions

hope this helps

Raymond

marc5180
29-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, up until now i didnt know that you could give or receive rep points for helping others out.
Thanks again

lana
07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi there,

Can one of the moderators or the WebRam explain this "rep power" more clearly?

Appreciate your reply.
Regards
LANA

chillin out
07-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I will try Lana.

Everybody starts off with a reputation power of 0. If after posting some helpful information another member may feel the need to 'thank' you. This can be done by adding to your 'rep' number (I think it only moves one number at a time).

The higher the number, the more helpful you have been.

Although I just added to your rep and your number didn't move so I could be wrong. In this case the 'rep' numbers are linked to your post count.

Chillin:) :)

Brian_UK
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Lana,

"Rep Power" is just a means of people saying 'thanks' to each other for some useful answers etc. (Rep is short for reputation.)

For example if you thought that Ray, rdocwra, had given you some excellent advice and you wanted to thank him for that you have two ways open to you.

The first is of course to say thank you publicly by way of another post within the thread.

The second is for you to click on the 'scales of justice' icon to increase his rep power.

I hope that this helps you understand it a little more. As far as I know it has no other function apart from what I have described above.

Secretly though, I understand that the first one to 20 has to buy doughnuts (donuts) for everyone on the forum:D

Latte
08-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Thats sorted then Brian, I am going to search youre replies and get you to 20 :D

regards

Raymond

lana
08-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks everybody for the reply.

Cheers

WebRam
08-05-2007, 01:12 PM
one other thing. I have it set so that you have to SPREAD your reputation points among members so you can not keep giving one member rep :)

slingblade
08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
one other thing. I have it set so that you have to SPREAD your reputation points among members so you can not keep giving one member rep :)

So let that be a lesson to everyone who has tried to give me "rep" on multiple occasions.;)

Seriously, ive only got 2 and one of those was Dan (i think) pressing the wrong button at the time. ill just have to try harder.:)

djbe
08-05-2007, 07:44 PM
So wheres the donuts then Webram:D :D :D

chillin out
08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't think it works that well. I done Lana yesterday and I also done Sling a few months ago, and there must have been hundreds who have done me.
So why don't the numbers go up?

Chillin:) :)

lana
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I think when rep is given to someone then some points are added to the reputation. After some certain points the "rep power" goes up.

Dan
18-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Seriously, ive only got 2 and one of those was Dan (i think) pressing the wrong button at the time. ill just have to try harder.

Haha! Actually I DID press the button for you, and it was on purpose. But how would you have known? Frankly, I don't understand the rep power thing. But I occasionally feel inspired by a message that makes me want to cast a favorable ballot.

WebRam
18-05-2007, 09:00 AM
its a relative thing. If your rep power and post count is low then the points you can give are minimal. As you gain rep power your point power increases.

Brian_UK
18-05-2007, 07:10 PM
It's a Zen thing methinks ;)

botrous
15-08-2007, 08:16 PM
hi Webram , brian , chillin and all the others that I still didn't get the honor to know, webram thanks for the automated message send to my email saying that the forum misses me , that made me happy although i knpw it's automated....
anyways I'm back and miss you all .

Best regards
Botrous

Abe
16-08-2007, 05:55 PM
hi Webram , brian , chillin and all the others that I still didn't get the honor to know, webram thanks for the automated message send to my email saying that the forum misses me , that made me happy although i knpw it's automated....
anyways I'm back and miss you all .

Best regards
Botrous

Boutros

Welcome back to RE
Happy to have you back

Abe

BigJon3475
26-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Reputation / Comments System
Many of you will be aware of the new reputation system that has been implemented by the administrators to the forums. Information about the vBulletin reputation system can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/main/reputation

At the top right of every post you will see a new icon (http://forums.aspfree.com/images/buttons/reputation.gif) which allows you to provide reputation for that user's post. Clicking the icon allows you to post a comment and state whether you approve or disapprove. As long as you are a full user (i.e. you have 30 posts and have been a member for 30 days), this will then be publicly available for everyone to see and will appear directly underneath the post as a comment. A box titled "Comments on this post" will appear, with a list of users who agree/disagree.

All full users have a certain reputation power. This depends on the number of posts they have, the reputation they have received themselves and how long they have been a member etc. When you approve of a post, you increase the poster's reputation by the number of reputation points you have. If you disagree with their post, their reputation points will decrease by the number of reputation points you have.

If you are not yet a full user (i.e. you do not have 30 posts and have not been a member for 30 days) you do not have any reputation power. While you can still comment on posts, you will not alter the poster's reputation points.

Every time you agree or disagree with a post, your comment will appear in their user control panel. Each comment will either have a green icon (to show that the user agreed with your post), a red icon (to show that the user disagreed with your post) or a grey icon (where the user has no reputation power so is not a full member).

Everyone starts with 10 points and one green icon associated with their profile. As they gain (or lose) points, their total increases or decreases and the number of green icons next to their profile changes. The more green icons there are, the more the user is respected in the forum.

You can find out your current reputation level from your Control Panel (http://forums.aspfree.com/usercp.php?). If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a "Latest Reputation Received" section, where you can find out your current reputation level and view the most recent comments posted about you.

suny
26-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks Chiilin & Brian for giving detailed explanation about reputation power (rep power).

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody in this forum who has helped & advised me on the problems I have posted in the past. Further I am very much thankful for the moderators who have awarded me with 1 rep power after becoming a member of this prestigious forum with in just two months.

Moreover please explain about the green rectangle under the rep power.

Suny

WebRam
26-08-2007, 09:08 AM
see the post directly above yours.

marc5180
27-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Reputation / Comments System

You can find out your current reputation level from your Control Panel (http://forums.aspfree.com/usercp.php?). If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a "Latest Reputation Received" section, where you can find out your current reputation level and view the most recent comments posted about you.
I dont have " latest reputation received" just Edit Email & Password
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Edit Avatar
Edit Profile Picture
Private Messages
Folders
Inbox
Sent Items
List Messages
Send New Message
Edit Folders
Subscribed Threads
Folders
Subscriptions
List Subscriptions
Edit Folders
Miscellaneous
Event Reminders
Group Memberships
Buddy / Ignore Lists
Attachments

BigJon3475
28-08-2007, 12:06 AM
What you have and don't have is left up to the admin. That would be a question for them I was just responding to the what is question.

WebRam
28-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I dont have " latest reputation received" just Edit Email & Password
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Edit Avatar
Edit Profile Picture
Private Messages
Folders
Inbox
Sent Items
List Messages
Send New Message
Edit Folders
Subscribed Threads
Folders
Subscriptions
List Subscriptions
Edit Folders
Miscellaneous
Event Reminders
Group Memberships
Buddy / Ignore Lists
Attachments

If you dont have it, its because you have not been given any.

marc5180
28-08-2007, 05:22 PM
If you dont have it, its because you have not been given any.

:(:( but my rep power says 2?

WebRam
29-08-2007, 04:37 AM
thats because you have been posting, its a combination of things. Now watch it or I will magicly change your green thingie to a red thingie :)

US Iceman
29-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Now watch it or I will magicly change your green thingie to a red thingie :)

Ahhh, but you have to love a Scot with a sense of humor.:D

taz24
29-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Ahhh, but you have to love a Scot with a sense of humor.:D

Especially if he can change your thingy to a different colour.

taz.

slingblade
30-08-2007, 03:47 PM
speaking of green thingies mine appears to say slingblade will be famous soon enough as opposed to is on a distinguished road
Beat that!!!!
:confused:

WebRam
30-08-2007, 09:32 PM
finger hovers over name change thingie button ........

richardb14
19-02-2009, 11:23 PM
have also noticed you get a rep point for each year you have been a member

slingblade
22-02-2009, 02:07 AM
have also noticed you get a rep point for each year you have been a member

No cant say i have, is that you bartlett? or o'brein?
Fridetech going bump must have been a blow and i feel for you both but, LOL.

richardb14
22-02-2009, 11:39 AM

wtf are you on?

pointless post, obviously bearing a grudge against fridetech (who are they?)

Toosh
22-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Hi Sling, Hes not the Bartlett you know, he was on here not to long ago and hes not with Mr Obrien anymore. and Mr Obrien has started showing up again

Norm

frank
22-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Mr O'brien has started showing up again
He did show up Norm, recenty, but he used the forum to promote his own business and web site.

Webram has suspended his account accordingly.

Toosh
22-02-2009, 08:48 PM
He did show up Norm, recenty, but he used the forum to promote his own business and web site.

Webram has suspended his account accordingly.

Thanks Frank its good news :D

slingblade
01-03-2009, 01:57 AM
wtf are you on?

pointless post, obviously bearing a grudge against fridetech (who are they?)

Yes i apologise, mistaken identity. very,long story. enjoy the forum. no offence intended. fridgetech are no more, forget about this matter. my mistake.;)

richardb14
01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
No probs mate, after reading up on this fridgetech I can see why you would be a bit cheesed off

Gary
01-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Say what you will about his people skills, but when it comes to refrigeration Marc O'brien is among the best and the brightest.

750 Valve
02-03-2009, 03:38 AM
i have been doing this for a long time, and your books will not help me, bellend. peddle your stuff elsewhere.

thanks to that comment my monitor now has coffee sprayed all over it!!! :D

Gary
02-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Deleted by Webram.

I've seen no evidence of refrigeration skills on your part, nor attempts to help posters, nor any other redeeming qualities for that matter. And when it comes to people skills... you're just rude and crude. Why are you even here? Just trolling?

multisync
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by slingblade]Deleted by WebramOutrageous -even from the boards favourite alcoholic:eek:

nh3wizard
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
This message has been deleted by WebRam (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?u=1). Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)

Damn, Looks like I missed another good one!!!!! And I learned something today also, I had to look it up (Bellend) hehe thats a good one.

slingblade
03-03-2009, 01:08 AM
I've seen no evidence of refrigeration skills on your part, nor attempts to help posters, nor any other redeeming qualities for that matter. And when it comes to people skills... you're just rude and crude. Why are you even here? Just trolling?

I was going to leave this alone due to having just been awarded an infraction, whatever the hell that is, but i can not tolerate your further post. I feel i have shown a reasonable knowledge of my trade over the past few years on this website, when i have commented and debated on matters ranging from domestic through to heavy industrial fridge plant.
Having been branded an "arseumption making idiot" and "a f**cking prick" by the oracle, i see, and take, your point about his limited people skills. However i have made my own judgement about other members outclassing him in technical debate. Not outclassed technically by me, and nor would i claim so. I pull spanners, both in the mechanical sense and the troubleshooting, reasoning and logical thinking sense, and have done so for more than 16 years. By the same token i have never needed a book to tell me how to do my job. You on the other hand are biased toward Mr o'b as he sells yours.
I think there is a niche in the market though and intend to write and publish my own set of reference material aimed at grandmothers around the globe explaining the principal behind the sucking of eggs.

Would the first mod to read this kindly PM me and explain where i can put members on an ignore list, if there is such a thing on here. thanks in advance.

slingblade
03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Outrageous -even from the boards favourite alcoholic:eek:

Do me a favour, you posted a chinese guy killing himself.:eek:

paul_h
03-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Comes in handy

slingblade
03-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Comes in handy

Ta mate, that is handy.

redroses
16-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I don't have the foggiest as to why it's up there but "rep power" deals directly with the number of posts you've put up on this site.

jaraza1
02-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Hi, I'm new in this forun, but I think it's a good place to get some help, I have installed a new godman heat pump 410 A ***** and removed a 22 ***** but I do nopt replace piping line, you thing it will be working good I do not tray to stat=ring yet?. please I be waiting for your kindly answer.

DTLarca
29-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Say what you will about his people skills, but when it comes to refrigeration Marc O'brien is among the best and the brightest.

I totally agree, Gary, you won't get any argument from me on this one :cool:

slingblade
01-01-2011, 02:16 AM
I totally agree, Gary, you won't get any argument from me on this one :cool:

Difficult for me to comment as Gary is on my Ignore list, which is where you are now also, well done D1ckhead. You are number 2 on the list, but deserve status as the all time no 1 to ignore. Good luck in the rest of your existence. A word of advice though, if you meet an engineer who is six feet four inches tall and fifteen stone with size twelve toetectors which can easily remove your teeth, think before you open your mouth. It may benifit your health. Merry new year.

paul_h
01-01-2011, 04:39 AM
I can't stop laughing. I don't know why, maybe it's because it's 11.38AM on the 1/1/2011 and I haven't stopped drinking since 12pm on the 31/12/2010 ; except when I passed out and sobered up a bit for 4 hours between 4am and 8am.
Merry new year indeed.

750 Valve
01-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Difficult for me to comment as Gary is on my Ignore list, which is where you are now also, well done D1ckhead. You are number 2 on the list, but deserve status as the all time no 1 to ignore. Good luck in the rest of your existence. A word of advice though, if you meet an engineer who is six feet four inches tall and fifteen stone with size twelve toetectors which can easily remove your teeth, think before you open your mouth. It may benifit your health. Merry new year.

That's Gold!

Slingblade's TechMethod for living a longer healthier life - come to think of it you could peddle that on forums worldwide....

DTLarca
02-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Either you believe, we, Gary and I, have a right to our opinions or you do not.

You want to insist that we do but at the same time that we should not :)

Happy new year :)