PDA

View Full Version : Cutting unistrut

Andy AC
23-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Hello again guys, have any of you got or used a circular saw for cutting unistrut and cable trays? I've seen an Evolution Rage2 saw with a fancy blade, even watched their promo video for it , but before splashing out on one I would be grateful for anyones views on them - ease of use, blade life etc. I've got a lot of strut to cut soon, but my colleague is so slow at cutting and can't cut anywhere near straight.

Andy

alexdouglas1969
23-04-2007, 11:26 PM
We got a 110v one for a big VRF job a while back - it paid for itself in a day.

It does leave razor sharp edges so you will need plastic caps or have someone file the ends down. You need lots of room, it throws sparks all over the place and makes a racket. Long heavy lengths can be a bit tricky as they can put it off balance.
Make sure its got a decent guard and clamp. Be careful - it would chop off all your fingers in one second.The blades do go quite quickly (on metal, not fingers)!!

monkey spanners
23-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I've got a makita TCT blade chop saw for unistrut ABS pipe etc. Still on original blade after 8 years (only used once a month or so) Not too many sparks but it fires little chips everywhere, goggles a must have.
Am thinking of getting one of those battery angle grinders for cutting plastic trunking, need a bigger van.

Cheers Jon

Abe
24-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I've got a makita TCT blade chop saw for unistrut ABS pipe etc. Still on original blade after 8 years (only used once a month or so) Not too many sparks but it fires little chips everywhere, goggles a must have.
Am thinking of getting one of those battery angle grinders for cutting plastic trunking, need a bigger van.

Cheers Jon

Monkey

Would you mind posting a pic of your Makita or point me to a site which may contain a pic of one

Thx

Paulajayne
24-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=HSS/TCT%20Cut-Off%20Saws&source=froogle

Abe
24-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Thank you Paula

cooldude
24-04-2007, 08:09 PM
hi Andy,

i use a 18v dewalt reciprecating saw cuts uni all day long plus many other uses and portable

Tocoldtohold
04-05-2007, 02:34 AM
What Andy said. ^^^^^^^

Freonboy
27-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Monkey

Would you mind posting a pic of your Makita or point me to a site which may contain a pic of one

Thx

Panasonic have a good range of rechargeable circular saws designed for cutting steel.

:)

Andy AC
27-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I saw one of those rage saw at my local b&q and it wasn't built as good as I thought it was. I ended up getting a 24V makita reciprocating saw as a body only to go with the batteries from my old sds drill. Used it more for cutting fence posts and old pallets, but it does cut the strut really well:)

Andy