PDA

View Full Version : Our Trade in the Movies

RogGoetsch
04-07-2002, 06:12 PM
For starters, ya gotta love all that bright clean ductwork conveniently located, large enough to crawl through, never buckling from the weight, no turning vanes, fans, or coils to get in the way....

Favorite refrigeration movie has to be Mosquito Coast with Harrison Ford building an absorption ammonia system in the jungle, lighting a fire under the building and having perfect blocks of ice slide out with no one filling or emptying molds... talk about special effects! And his "Swiss Family Robinson meets Industrial Ammonia" A/C system is a hoot! (Okay, the rest of the movie is harder to watch, except the de rigueur ammonia explosions!)

Favorite A/C movie: Brazil with Robert DeNiro as the renegade "heating engineer", especially his wonderful speech about why he got into the business: "...in and out quick... adventure...." just before he snaps onto his zip line and launches himself off the building, one step ahead of the slow and vindictive government heating engineers (Bob Hoskins & ?)

(When I give a talk to school kids considering the field, I bring along a tape of Brazil cued up to the beginning of the thermostat scene and show it through to DeNiro's zip line exit. That way they can see the trade the way I do!)

Anybody else got a favorite??

Rog

frank
04-07-2002, 08:41 PM
How about the inner ductwork scenes in "Alien"

reggie
06-07-2002, 02:15 AM
What about the 'Thomas Crown Affair' starring Piers Brosnan?

He steals a priceless painting by de activating the security cameras in an art gallery. The cameras rely on a specific td to operate hence he shuts the a/c system down.
Ingenious theft in a garbage film but i did enjoy those 5 minutes of refrigeration.
Its sad really but on every Clint Eastwood film when he is in pursuit of a criminal on a rooftop i cant help noticing the chillers.

Any one else suffer from this or do i need to get out more?

reggie
06-07-2002, 02:18 AM
Sorry this was supposed to be posted as a reply to our trade in the movies. Can it be moved by any moderator to the correct location.

herefishy
06-07-2002, 04:41 PM
reggie.... PM (personal message) the moderator or WEBRAM, and I'm sure someone'll straighten it out for you.

LOL!!! I'm sure you don't want the forumn to think you consider "tv" a hobby!!

reggie
08-07-2002, 07:59 AM
Not a hobby just a necessary evil in between beer.

WebRam
08-07-2002, 07:00 PM
sorted lads :)

Andy
08-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi, Frank snap! I was thinking of the same Aliens wasn't it?they were in the prision and various different things were chopped up in the fan. Great stuff.
Regards. Andy.

WebRam
08-07-2002, 10:18 PM
What about the one with Candy in it. He gets jammed in the duct and the pressure blows him out :D

reggie
09-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Cast your minds back a long time to Terminator 2.
Has anyone worked in the close control computer rooms with Halon fire protection bottles? I think Arnie set one off.

bersaga
06-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Remember Arnie in Total Recall where the entire Oxygen in the barren planet was in ice form and had to be melted for the O2 to be released. Also recall that the entire city/cities were ventilated by huge axial fans and the man who controlled the air supply was the bad guy ( or the mayor of some sort!) !

Discussion : Is that actually possible ? I mean getting all the breathable air locked in ice at one place. If I remember, the ice was melted by pushing some form of nuclear rods into them !

reggie
07-01-2003, 07:57 AM
I cant see it being possible. If so wed have been paying tax on our oxygen under Thatchers regime.

bersaga
07-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Taxable O2, huh ! Trust me - someone will attempt!

Back to movies - remember Terminator 2 where truck load of Liquid Nitrogen overturns and our sleak metallurgical 'bad' terminator is turned brittle !

Not exactly refrigeration but a product of it at work!!:D

Dan
11-01-2003, 06:14 AM
What a delightful thread! Here is my offering:

The slowly rotating propeller fan in the background you will find in any of the last ten-year's worth of drama or action movies.

Shane Rupe
06-02-2003, 10:42 AM
Howdy
I think the movie would be the perfect storm!
a good reffer guy on the boat and they would have lived .
;)

frank
07-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Did anyone see the wrecked condensers on the news the other morning after the US missile strike in Iran?

3 units blown to pieces on top of the concrete rubble - fans propelling in the wind!

bersaga
08-04-2003, 01:51 AM
Shock and Awe in Iran ??

Gary
08-04-2003, 04:37 AM
Have we started the next war already? I kinda thought Syria would be next.

J.D
19-04-2003, 12:59 AM
OK folks, lets look back quite a few years to Death Race 2000. There was one scene where a group was in a fair size industrial engine room with several Frick 9x9's. One guy was standing up on top of the flywheel. Compressors were painted yellow I believe with red valve handwheels and pipework.

J.D.