PDA

View Full Version : R22 or R502?

jingua_ph
20-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Recently, the compressor on my truck reefer unit got busted so I had to replace it with a new one. I was able to obtain a used working compressor but I didn't realize that both the compressor and Expansion Valve uses different refrigerants. The compressor uses R502 while the Expansion Valve was designed for R22. What should I do? Is it ok to use R22 on an R502 compressor?

old gas bottle
20-04-2007, 04:50 PM
may be o/k depending on what temperature you run at,i guess its a freezer,if it is it may run hot on the head and cause damage, the otherthing is if the compressor is made to run at the temperature you require,check the model numbers to be sure, at a push change the expansion valve to a R502 and regas with a zerotropic drop in.

LRAC
20-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Most engineers in the past while on breakdowns to get the customer out of the pooh, would either use a R502 or R22 valve if the correct one was not available.

To identify which gas you have in the system as a simple test, measure the ambient temperature and read off your guages to the corresponding pressure which should match for each refrigerent. If it doesn't you've got mixed gasses.

Kind regards
Lrac

old gas bottle
20-04-2007, 10:20 PM
if you use R22 in a R502 system at low temperature the pressure drop will "shut down " the TEV so optimum temperature will not be reached, sometimes you can get away with it,sometimes not,thats why they make TEV,s for individual refrigerants,