PDA

View Full Version : Solar Trailer Truck Revived?

pvphil
19-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I need some help on my project about installing Photovotaic solar panels on a refrigerated trailer 53 foot or less for use in the Atacama desert, Chile. Lets say i found a way to put a combination of highly efficient, good incident angle capture and lightweight solar panel tecnology on the roof aswell as the sides of the trailer (12945 watts) but to be realistic say from 6972 to 9593+ watts are produced since the sun rays does not intantly shine on all sides.
Found a Carrier Phoenix ultra model: 1900rpm diesel
-29c 6154 watts
-18c 10111watts
2c 13481 watts
Aswell as a smaller 380V 3phase Eliteline reefer from 3960W to 10550W
Is it possible to have a totaly DC system??
Do they make DC compressors large enough?
Can i use more then one small dc compressor? maybe divide interior trailer into sections.
I'am trying not to modify wall thickness if posible. (too much weight)
If freezer aplications not posible, just refrigeration would be fine.
Does refrigeration temperture pulldown consumption= 3x normal?
Anywhere from 6 to 12 hours of use. Batteries over 1500Amp hours as back up.
Any help or suggestions would be much apreciated.
Thanks.

Brian_UK
19-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Nice idea but wouldn't a fuel efficient generator be a better idea?

Sorry, is this design just a project or is it planned to be a finished/working item?

pvphil
22-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Hello Brian.
Up to now this is just a project. At first started off as small scale or small truck pv refrigeration. I was curious to see if large scale is posible. I'am trying to find aplications to a cheap, good quality light weight solar panel.
I'am pretty much new to refrigeration. My primary rough calculations compared this pv system to 0.7 Gal/Hr(0.5829 UK) of average fuel consumption of a diesel truck refigerator. I estimate a pay back of 12 years. By efficient; how much consumption do you mean?
Thanks.
Phil

coolwithsolar
22-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Phil, we built this exact thing, but using a 45-ft trailer and a Carrier Supra 950. We are now building a unit for an ISO container. We find that the power from even a very good array will be closer 5 kW (peak) for a 53-ft trailer.