PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice Help Needed

Rotax100uk
18-04-2007, 06:58 PM
I have been an apprentice now in air conditioning and refrigeration for around 6 months now, i would really like to know how much should i know by now?

Can anyone write a list of roughly i should know/ be able to do etc.

Thanks very much.

wineman
18-04-2007, 07:42 PM
u should be able to go to the chippy and get everything right after 6 months possibly i might let you flare a joint but not oil it or tighten it

airconadam
18-04-2007, 07:42 PM
hey this is hard to say depends on how much your on site and what type of work your doing really iknow some lads tha was on my course and all they did was brush the stores etc were others are always out fixing unit and problem solving etc good luck

taz24
19-04-2007, 12:49 AM
I have been an apprentice now in air conditioning and refrigeration for around 6 months now, i would really like to know how much should i know by now?

Can anyone write a list of roughly i should know/ be able to do etc.

Thanks very much.

Are you going to college and doing an NVQ?

If you are then the two years that it will take are a good guide to how you are doing.

It all depends on you.
If working with tools comes naturaly, if you like striping things down to see how they work, if you don't mind hours of repetetive boreing work that no one else will do and as long as you have not scratched the owners / managers jag while nicking some scrap copper you'll be fine.

If you are this keen to know and learn you are exactly where you should be.

Enjoy, don't worry about making mistakes because you will and pass your driving test as soon as possible.

taz.

lana
19-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Hi there,

Everything said so far. In my opinion you should strengthen your theoretical knowledge beside your practical one. These two work together.
Apart from electrical I would expect you to know at least :
1- Connecting gauges in a correct way so min. refrigerant goes out.
2- Evacuation procedure.
3- Pressure testing the system.
4- Soldering and brazing copper tubes.
5- Meaning of superheat and sub cooling + their measurements.
6- Connecting different safety and control components on the system.
7- The meaning and use of refrigerant pressure-temperature chart.
8- The differences between refrigerants and their oils. Also you have to recognize the refrigerants by their name code and know how to work with them.
9- .............

:D :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :D :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

The above mentioned items are not in order and I just put them there as I recall.:D

If you study the theory behind the refrigeration then in a very short time you can diagnose the faults pretty well.

Believe me my friend we can never ever be the best but at least we can try:) .

Also learning for humans are an ongoing story and never ends so ....

Good Luck
Cheers

old gas bottle
19-04-2007, 05:03 PM
you should be thickening out a bit by now with all the humping,learnt how to swear propely, be able to drink at least 8 pints in half an hour and all the clever stuff all ready mensioned.

coolments
19-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi

As we all have experienced and know apprentices generally get to do the fetching and carrying, after all you dont have a dog and bark your self.
Therefore after six months i would expect one of my apprentices to be able to identify the tools I use, pipe sizes and other install / service materials, carry out basic jobs like cleaning filters or mounting pipe brackets. The Tech stuff will come in time, main thing is to watch the engineer work and learn to recognise what he is doing and what he will need next and have it ready.

This will make the job run smoother and the eng happy and respect you so he will have more time and want to teach you, plus if the engineer is good then his work ethic will stick with you.

Good luck in the trade.