PDA

View Full Version : blanket

Abe
16-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Air Conditioning compressors usually have a blanket wrapped around the body.

My question is, what purpose does this serve?
Is it for noise reduction?
To keep body of compressor warm during the winter

and........

Will it harm the system to remove the blanket to assist the compressor running cooler during the summer months?

NoNickName
16-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Noise reduction. Nothing else.

Abe
16-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Thank you Nick,

Noise is not a problem at one particular site and in this case
case blanket is coming off

I dont like the idea of a compressor baking in summer shrouded in this blanket
Hopefully compressor will run a lot cooler

btw, the system is a 12.5 Kw Inverter drive ( Mitsu) I think its a scroll type
:)

A_Ahed
16-04-2007, 12:55 PM
the blanket is not removed during operation ?
If yes . what is it made of ( material )?

NoNickName
16-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Removed? For what reason it shall be removed during operation...

malik55
16-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Here ambient temperature reaches near 50*C in peak summer days, and we have no other choice to remove these blankets, the Rotary compressors really looks a oven at a baking point, Many failed compressors when opened for a replacement, oil looks as coal tar due to very high temperature, MAY BE THESE BLANKETS HAVE SOME BENEFIT IN COLDER PLACES BUT OVERALL I don't see any advantage and unit runs better without it, and about noise very few owners bothered 99% are happy if their unit cools,
malik55

Abe
16-04-2007, 08:28 PM
MAY BE THESE BLANKETS HAVE SOME BENEFIT IN COLDER PLACES
malik55

The compressor has a cranckase heater fitted.
Does the blanket really help, or is necessary during winter?

momo
17-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Small A/Cs skip on heaters, but consider that oil can be thick in winter and contain liquid refrigerant... hence the larger "more complete" units have them and even delay starting after power cuts to warm oil - since the power of the heater would be just sufficient to heat the unit, in the UK/zeroC. areas I would recommend keeping the blanket on.

NoNickName
17-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Guys the blanket is for women when at bed. It doesn't, I repeat, it doesn't keep the compressor warm.

cool#9
17-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Hello it's quite interesting...
Sometimes there's a "hat" above this blanket to avoid the water to go on electrical parts (water from the rain).
Usually the terminal block is not enough watertight and you may have problem on condensing unit with outdoor fan upside...

cool#9

malik55
17-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Abe
I don't see any much difference, and if warranty is not a matter remove it, because many other units works with out these blankets in the cold areas, I think a comment from manufacturer regarding this matter will be helpful.
malik55

frank
17-04-2007, 09:26 PM
It's a SOUND deadening mat - nothing more.

Fitted to achieve lower SPL's.

taz24
19-04-2007, 01:18 AM
It's a SOUND deadening mat - nothing more.

Fitted to achieve lower SPL's.

PARDON!!

I can't hear you because this compressor has no blanket.

;)

taz

DEVIL
19-04-2007, 05:14 PM
i can asure u the "mat" is not necesary for sound insulation, it's for heat insulation, because the compressor dossen't like to cold start every time whet it get's stoped by the termostat.

For example some daikin medium split's run current tru the comressor to keep it warm, that's why big unit's are recomandet to keep under current for some hours to heat the compressor.

The compressor is not overheating because teoreticaly it should be coold by the cold gas coming from the indor unit.

Remove it if the unit is not used in the winter, and it the case is like malik55 sad "oil looks as coal tar due to very high temperature" this is becuase the unit whas low on refrigerent and it whasn't coold by the cold gas from the indor unit

NoNickName
19-04-2007, 05:53 PM
i can asure u the "mat" is not necesary for sound insulation, it's for heat insulation, because the compressor dossen't like to cold start every time whet it get's stoped by the termostat.

Compressors don't get flu or sneezing because of cold air.
Stop, please. It looks like there is some confusion between engineers on the use of the mat.
Infact the crankcase heater is there for a reason.
On the other hand, a mat reaches the room or ambient temperature in a short time.
So definitely NOT for warming the compressor.

DEVIL
19-04-2007, 05:59 PM
small air conditioning split's don't have crankcase heater that's why compressors with crankcase heaters don't have a mad, yes they don't get a flu but they get problems running on cold oil, just thinck about a compressor starting 10 times a hour, on a cold compressor, with cold oil, doing that 24 hours a day

frank
19-04-2007, 06:57 PM
small air conditioning split's don't have crankcase heater that's why compressors with crankcase heaters don't have a mad, yes they don't get a flu but they get problems running on cold oil, just thinck about a compressor starting 10 times a hour, on a cold compressor, with cold oil, doing that 24 hours a day

The crankcase heater is there to stop the oil absorbing refrigerant on the off cycle. The compressor will run with cold oil or hot oil - it doesn't care :rolleyes: but with cold oil full of refrigerant the oil will get flushed out of the crankcase leaving the compressor with no lubrication.

An external wrap around mat will not stop cold oil absorbing refrigerant, as, over time, temperatures will equalise in the off cycle - lagging jacket or not.

DEVIL
20-04-2007, 07:00 AM
i reserve my right to thinck otherwhie, my opinion is that the compressor is not recomanded to repeatly, start on -15 degree C, and the vascosity of the oil is veri low.And the blancket is made of temperature insulation material, not sound proofing material.And if u see in some chillers manual, u whill see that some producers write that it should be on curent for more than 12 hours for the oil to warm up.

I don't whant to keep this discusion going just for a disagree betwin me and all the others, but this is my opinion

Temprite
20-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Was once told by a manufacturer to wrap a second blanket around a compressor in an attempt to combat a noisy unit.

It's hard enough to wrap one blanket around them let alone 2.

Abe
20-04-2007, 06:47 PM
i reserve my right to thinck otherwhie, my opinion is that the compressor is not recomanded to repeatly, start on -15 degree C, and the vascosity of the oil is veri low.And the blancket is made of temperature insulation material, not sound proofing material.And if u see in some chillers manual, u whill see that some producers write that it should be on curent for more than 12 hours for the oil to warm up.

I don't whant to keep this discusion going just for a disagree betwin me and all the others, but this is my opinion

So if a blanket keeps it warm, what is the purpose of an electrically heated heater around the body of the compressor??

In my opinion it is purely there for sound reduction

DEVIL
23-04-2007, 07:06 PM
So if a blanket keeps it warm, what is the purpose of an
electrically heated heater around the body of the compressor??

the small Air conditioning unit's don't have cranck case heaters, not around them, and not inside them, they have only power suplay

Abe
23-04-2007, 08:25 PM
the small Air conditioning unit's don't have cranck case heaters, not around them, and not inside them, they have only power suplay

Devil,

When I first posed the question I referred to my outdoor unit which does have one fitted. Let us remain focussed on that scenario , then we shant get confused.

But you have made your point.
:)

stuartwking
23-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree they deadin sound but surely they must help heat insulation?!. Inverter drivin comps are prity quite anyway.Would love to hear what the makers say about it.

DEVIL
23-04-2007, 09:10 PM
sorry luck's like u jumped over thet line :)
then it's for shor for sound, and in some service manual they are cald like that

Inverter drivin comps are prity quite anyway.Would love to hear what the makers say about it.

yes they are quite, but u can never be to quite, and especialy whn u have cranky neighbors, been there :)