PDA

View Full Version : car air conditioning

airconadam
15-04-2007, 10:14 PM
hi guys just another question for you on car air con systems the seal on the compressor normally goes when the system has not been run through the winter or should i say it shrinks and then it looses its gas is this right and if so do you just recharge the system and run it and the seal will be fine again or do you have to replace the seal then recharge any help would be gratefull thanks alot adam

thebigcheese
15-04-2007, 10:15 PM
pressure test and ul usaly find that the seal takes up again

airconadam
15-04-2007, 10:18 PM
excellent thanks alot bigcheese any more views would be gratefull

airconadam
15-04-2007, 10:28 PM
also what would you pressure test the system to
thanks again

chillin out
16-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I personally think this is a bit of a myth.

It might have been true with the old comps, but on new cars I would doubt this very much.

The theory behind it was that the seals would not be getting lubricated when the system was sitting idle thus shrinking.

But, when you think about it, so long as the car is getting used then the oil gets swished about when going round a corner anyway.

Plus you find quite a few cars bring the AC on in short bursts when the vents are directed to the windscreen.

Chillin:) :)

thebigcheese
16-04-2007, 06:30 PM
it may be a myth but how many cars have you pressure tested and it held the pressure fine

airconadam
16-04-2007, 08:45 PM
but this happens quite alot doesnt it to cars and most times out of 10 ihave heard its the seal around the compressor thanks fellas

chillin out
17-04-2007, 01:48 AM
it may be a myth but how many cars have you pressure tested and it held the pressure fine
Most, if not all.

The only ones that I could ever fail were on very old cars (jags/RR state of the art when they were built types).
And once on a sandwich vehicle.

but this happens quite a lot doesn't it to cars and most times out of 10 i have heard its the seal around the compressor thanks fellas
Where does this info come from?
Car mechanics that can't be bothered to find leaks?

It's the same as a fridge guy saying he found the leak on a stop-valve or LTV.

Chillin:) :)

airconadam
17-04-2007, 05:15 PM
i ment everytime most cars have lost there gas its normally on that seal idont work on cars at all never have done but just wanted to know a few things about them thanks alot