PDA

View Full Version : Servicing of two portable units.

sortofsilver
10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Hello

I have two portable airconditioning units both are "unbranded". I purchased one 2 years ago and the other four years ago. They both seem to be ok but they have been heavily used.

The two year old unit has R-407C coolant and the four year old unit uses R-22 coolant.

My questions are
1) Can these units be serviced?
2) How much should i expect to pay?
3) These units cost around £250 pounds each is it worth having them serviced or should i just go and buy new units which can be purchased for around £200 each?

Thanks all

The Viking
10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
If they work then clean filters and coils.
If they don't work hand them in for recycling.

No professional A/C guy I know of would charge less than they are worth, just to come out and have a look at them.

alexdouglas1969
10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi

I will service both units for £200.00 + mileage.

Best wishes

Andy AC
10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
As the Viking said, If they work, just clean the filters and the coils, maybe blast the coils with compressed air. If they don't work get rid of and don't waste your money on them.

Brian_UK
10-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I suppose that we should also ask - are they purely air cooled units or are they water cooled units ?

Makeit go Right
12-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Also, there are some that are intended for a short life/early replacement, and others that are commercial quality and are worth looking after. Many companies are bound to service equipment every year (Health & Safety at Work etc) and are in a spot when it comes to the Portable Units. If you do decide to go further with having them serviced, getting prices etc, ask the Maint Company if they are going to open up the casings and work inside the unit, or simply clean the filter and wipe the exterior. (They will normally say, if the casings open up we will work inside, if not we will not be able to). So, you could be just spending good money out for no real reason, since you already clean the filter and wipe the exterior, yourself. Proper Maintenance will include work inside the nice casing.

briand8981
30-05-2010, 09:25 AM
i live and work in Fiji...and for 200 pounds I'd strip the units, service (clean) reassemble and maybe if you supplied the copper piping, control wires and brackets I'd install them for you. :) but then again..i live in Fiji :)