PDA

View Full Version : NEW 3-Phase IGBT Inverter Power IC

theberes
21-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Is this of interest to any subscribers on this site ?

http://www.clere.com/news/press_release/p0044.html

Clere Electronic Components Limited Announce a NEW 3-phase inverter power integrated circuit from Sanyo Semiconductor.

The STK621-015, which has been specifically developed to meet the needs of home appliance applications with increased functionality and performance, is packaged in a full transfer mould SIP ( single in-line package ) using an insulated metal substrate for the first time in the industry.

The combination of Sanyo's Insulated Metal Substrate Technology ( IMST ) and optimised full transfer mould technology has produced a package size just 50% of earlier products in the range. Furthermore, the SIP form provides significantly increased flexibility in mounting options for integration into the end product, depending on the application.

The STK621-015 consists of six power device circuits ( IGBTs and FRDs ) and pre-drive circuits for optimal power device drive - all integrated into a single package to create an intelligent power IC.

Optimised for driving 3-phase motors and compressors used in home appliances such as washing machines and refrigerators, the device also features two protection circuits :-

Overcurrent Protection - Detects circuit current using a shunt resistor on the bus line to protect against abnormal currents.

Control System Power Supply Low-voltage Protection - Protects the power devices by turning the output off when a control system power supply voltage ( each upper phase and the lower phase ) falls below a set voltage.

Rated supply voltage is 500V, with an output current of 10A. Control system supply voltages are 12.5V to 17.5V and 13.5V to 16.5V. Operating temperature is -20OC to +100OC and the SIP Package dimensions are 62mm x 21.8mm x 5mm.

For additional information, data sheets, application notes, pricing and samples, contact Clere Electronic Components Limited, franchised UK+EIRE distributor for Sanyo Semiconductor.

Argus
21-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Sounds like an advert to me.

There are other ways to market your products than this forum.
What do you think, Mr Moderator?
________
genetically modified food (http://gmfoods.info)

theberes
24-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Valid comment, although the post was under "New Technologies" so I was hoping it would generate some technical interest and discussion amongst the readership more so than an order. However, I fully understand if this thread is removed in response to your post.

dude
16-02-2004, 06:35 AM
"Optimised for driving 3-phase motors and compressors used in home appliances such as washing machines and refrigerators"

say what? I have never seen a three phase motor equipped home washer or refrigerator.

rbartlett
16-02-2004, 09:08 AM
the release say's 21st june 2002-hardly new then?

cheers

richard

DaBit
16-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by dude
"Optimised for driving 3-phase motors and compressors used in home appliances such as washing machines and refrigerators"

say what? I have never seen a three phase motor equipped home washer or refrigerator.

Not yet, but as energy consumption requirements become more stringent and the cost of IGBT modules and small digital signal processors (DSP's) drop, it becomes more and more attractive to mount a 3-phase motor and run them with the most energy-saving waveform.

Powering such a motor requires fairly complicated electronics: the single-phase mains voltage is first switched up to 400-600VDC (for power factor correction), and from there down to a 3-phase supply powering the motor. All this is controlled by a fairly powerful microprocessor/signal processor which calculates the waveforms required. If manufactured in sufficiently large quantities, the cost for the power controller is offset by the cheaper motor and start components.

Hybrids as decribed in the start post make my life a lot easier.

baker
17-02-2004, 06:17 AM
Some of our American friends have never seen a normal house with 3 phase power running to it. In Australia this was not unusual, although it is becoming less common.

There used to be significant advantages with 3 phase power. However, now that there are all sorts of regulations regarding power line harmonics and distortion, it is often easier to take a single phase feed, power factor correct it, rectify and switch it, and feed it to a multi phase motor. This achieves the best of both worlds at the cost of increased complexity.

chemi-cool
17-02-2004, 06:32 PM
here in Israel, it is very common to see houses powered by 3 phase.
also in flats and many consumers use 3 ph. air conditioners and slowly other appliances like big wahing machines, driers and dish washers are 3 ph.

it will get in when poeple understand the advatages ov 3 ph.

any way its much safer then the power in Scotland: 100 amps single phase!?!?

chemi

DaBit
18-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Yes, but then you are talking about power-hungry machinery. It won't be too long before smaller motors such as in your electric drill also become 3-phase (or even more). A 3-phase motor is quite simple to construct, often smaller than similar-HP single-phase motors, and features good starting torque and speed control.

Powering these small appliances from a 3-phase supply doesn't make sense, so electronics will take care of generating the three phases for you.

frank
18-02-2004, 09:58 PM
A 3 phase hand held electric drill !!! :eek: :eek: forget it. Not for me!!:D

chemi-cool
18-02-2004, 10:02 PM
no frank,
it is not a three phase drill,

its a one phase with an internal electronic device that changes it into three phase.

liked your shoked smilies.

chemi

DaBit
19-02-2004, 04:24 PM
This is probably already done in the better hand drills who can be speed-controlled pretty good, and maintain torque.

chemi-cool
19-02-2004, 04:46 PM
hi dabit,

many power tools went through my hands, makita and hilti.

I go through 60cm reinforced bombshelter cncrete and keep high torque in low speed.

chemi

frank
19-02-2004, 09:46 PM
chemi

English humour again!:D

dude
01-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Here in the US, bringing in a three phase power into a private residence can be very expensive if available at all.

Three phase motors are more efficient, but there is also a significant cost of pulling four wires into each home as well as three phase panel equipment.

Three phase power is a dream to every wood working enthusiasts who likes to use commercial grade shop equipment that are usually fitted with a three phase motor.

Residential electricians also do not know how to work with three phase power around here and when these people wire up a 3phase A/C condensing, there will be many units with the rotor turning backward because of improper wiring.