PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot 405 aircon not working

Phil and huyen
08-04-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a 1994 Peugeot 405 and the air conditioning has suddenly become problematic. (Diesel engine)

It was recharged along, with a dye, which revealed leaking compressor seals. The compressor was repalced with a reconditioned unit and the system re-gassed. However, all is far from perfect.

The system has a mind of it's own. When it does decide to work, it comes on by itself after approx 20 minutes. Even then, it continuosly cycles on and off. Now it won't even come on at all. The clutch doesn't pull in when the system is turned on and a Haynes manual is useless. Prior to this, the system would chill you to the bone and was trouble free.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as i am losing faith in the garage.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Brian_UK
08-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi Phil and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you try and find a local car AC technician to check out the problem.

Most garages now use a standard machine and rely on the electronic feedback from the car to tell them what to do.

If the electronics don't know what's wrong then neither does the mechanic at the garage.

It sounds though that your system is short of refrigerant.

When the AC is switched on by you the signal goes through a low pressure switch which checks that there is sufficient gas in the system. If the LP switch is happy then the compressor clutch will engage. When the gas charge starts leaking out the operating pressure within the system will go below the LP switch setting and the clutch drops out again.

The refrigerant pressure then rises and the LP switch makes, the clutch engages and it all starts repeating itself until the gas has leaked out enough to finally keep the LP switch off.

Unfortunately cars are tricky beasts to keep leak tight, seals leak, pipes leaks, stones chip the condenser at the front and that leaks.....

Good luck with it.

Karl Hofmann
09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Who reconditioned the compressor? The compressors on the 405s are very common and are pretty cheap to buy barand new. Check that the clutch air gap is OK, it should be just enough to slide in the average business card, much wider than that, then the clutch may not pull in reliably. Also check for a reliable 12 volt supply to the compressor when the switch is on, if this is not reliable, then start checking connections, relays and pressure switches.

Dont forget that your 405 is an old girl now and they don't take kindly to being disturbed...Especially the French electrics.

Condensers are prone to leak too, down the right hand side (As you look at the car), they are not dear to buy, but a bear of a job to do.

lana
09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi there,

Apart from whatever said so far, check the thermostat in the cabin. I had the same problem once and the thermostat was faulty.
Good luck:)

cooled cars
18-04-2007, 09:06 AM
hi there sounds to me like you need to get the refrigerant charge checked first of all just to make sure its got some gas in it only takes to ticks to eliminate that . if that is ok need to check the compressor feed is the next thing . would manually feed the compressor clutch personally to make sure it is ok and that will also tell you if the air con system does cool the car inside . then work on finding fault from there if you have not found it already . but bear in mind it is a peugeot and the electrics are poor at best