PDA

View Full Version : Anyone was a job on a ship going to Alaska?

wadsworth
19-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Hello,

We've got a ship leaving Bellingham (near Seattle) for Alaska in about 10 days. The ship is 180 feet long and has a very large cold storage hold in it. It also has two blast-freezer tunnels, used for freezing seafood. It's all feon, I think, no ammonia. We need to find a refrigeration engineer who can live on the boat through the beginning of October. The refrigeration engineer would also be expected to assist with other engineering work on board, as needed. Room and board, plus meals, are all provided by the company. Compensation is budgeted at $160 daily, seven days per week, for the entire duration, paid every two weeks.

Please send me a resume (email: eric@alaskacatch.com, FAX: 360-683-0194, mail: 40 Wadsworth Dr., Sequim WA 98382) and give me a phone call as well 360-683-4030, ask for Eric. Please provide two references.

Thanks! --- Eric

=====================================
Eric Wadsworth
Alaska Catch www.alaskacatch.com
eric@alaskacatch.com
=====================================

frank
26-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Eric

$160 a day - get real man, This is not really the going rate for an experianced Fridge Tech when you are asking for the man with the skills to muck in and help out when there is not any fridge work to do!

In addition you are asking the Tech to go without the love of a good woman and put up with sea-sickness!

Count me out!!!!

herefishy
27-06-2002, 02:38 PM
Heck....$58,000 annual (equivalent) plus room and board probably sums up to near $70K (equivalent annual income). That doesn't seem like a bad deal at all! :)

wadsworth
27-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Well, the boat is leaving Seattle tomorrow night, so the point might become moot. ;)

--- Eric

herefishy
27-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Did you get a tech for the trip, yet?

wadsworth
27-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Not yet. If we can't find one, we'll just have to do the best we can, I suppose.

Abe
27-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Its not the money Frank, its the adventure!! Many would give their right arm to join this ship.

Those who have been to Alaska will tell you it is a truly inspiring wilderness, the quiet, the barren landscape, the weather conditions, the AWESOME ice bergs, and the warmth and comaderie on the ship all makes for a once in a lifetime experience.

Wadsworth, have a great trip, Herefish, cant you find someone quickly to join them who can look after the refrigeration??

wadsworth
27-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Update: The boat pulls away from the Dock in Bellingham, WA. on Friday evening at around 8:00 PM. There is the little matter of an interview and a couple of references checked, of course, so if anyone is actually interested give me a call: 360-683-4030 (ask for Eric).

herefishy
28-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Well, Aiyub...... My being in Texas, about 2,000 miles (3,000km?) from Seattle, I'm afraid my associations aren't that far extended.

$160 a day is equivalent to about 246.15 pounds (UK) per day. Is that not good compensation "across the pond"?

herefishy
28-06-2002, 02:36 PM
...... when I was a teenager, I was the best deckhand in Aransas County, working a back-bay shrimp boat! If I was single, a few years younger, and in proximity I'd certainly consider it.

However, if they had me on the boat fifteen years ago, they'd probably lose the whole lot if they were counting on me to keep the fridge goin!! LOL !! I just knew enough to be dangerous!

:)

rbartlett
05-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by herefishy
Well, Aiyub...... My being in Texas, about 2,000 miles (3,000km?) from Seattle, I'm afraid my associations aren't that far extended.

$160 a day is equivalent to about 246.15 pounds (UK) per day. Is that not good compensation "across the pond"?

i know it's a bit late but 160 dollars is about 100 pounds....which isn't actually setting the world on fire these days..

cheers

richard