PDA

View Full Version : K40 Icemaker

Andy AC
05-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Hello guys, I fitted a replacement cutter grid to a K40 icemaker today and couldn't believe how slow the cutting process seemed to be. It was being fed with about 7 volts from the transformer - is this normal ? or is the transformer knackered as well ? It did eventually start to score the ice but by then the next slab of ice had been produced and delivered to the grid. I know that they are slow but surely the system should be faster than this.

Andy

chillin out
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
The grid is not working properly, even if it was off it would make score lines.

Did you check the fuse?

Did you check for L/N at the grid terminals?

New grid may be faulty.

Chillin:) :)

Brian_UK
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I thought that the grid voltage was nearer 12 volts, but could be wrong.

bernard
06-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi

Here,s some helpful info on whirlpool/K40 ice machines.

www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm

This guy truely loves his ice machines:)

Regards Bernard

Peter_1
06-04-2007, 10:36 PM
What a learnful website

Electrocoolman
07-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Nice One for the books

Dan
07-04-2007, 02:18 AM
I remember adding time delays because the ice slab would not quite slide completely off the evaporator and then a build up would happen. That was a surface corrosion issue that had nothing to do with the grid. I just had to wait for the damn slab to slide onto it. I thought it was the worst design ever until I met my first "Mile High" cuber. I remember the old Fridgidaire as a simple and easily troubleshot ice machine anymore.

But that's back in the days when repairs were affordable. Repairs are less affordable to ice makers today, at least in America. :(

WCC73
09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I thought that the grid voltage was nearer 12 volts, but could be wrong.

I think that is correct.Tranny u/s also i would think.

chillin out
09-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I think that is correct.Tranny u/s also i would think.
This could very well be the case, but I have never replaced or even heard of someone replacing the transformer. Not much to go wrong with it apart from burning out.

If there is a lack of output voltage from it, I would check the primary voltage.

Gary
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
When a load device burns out, heavy amperage is drawn across any and all contacts that are in series with that device. Burnt contacts can drop the voltage. Check for voltage drops through all (switching device) contacts on both sides of the transformer.

wineman
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
if the fuse is ok i would suggest transformer

chillin out
09-04-2007, 09:45 PM
When a load device burns out, heavy amperage is drawn across any and all contacts that are in series with that device. Burnt contacts can drop the voltage. Check for voltage drops through all (switching device) contacts on both sides of the transformer.
Gary sounds like he's got it.

Check the on/off switch but more importantly the 'clean' switch as they are always burning out.

Andy AC
10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I haven't been back to site yet, but when I do I'll check out all your suggestions. I'm also going to try a different transformer from a dead Mr Slim to try and prove the point.

Andy

Andy AC
16-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I finally got back to it today, first thing I did was check the primary feed to the tranny - nothing. Fuse at the back of the unit gone :o, didn't know about this fuse until I trace the wires back to it - wiring diagram covered in limescale. Turns out my multimeter was having an off day picking up 7 volts on the original visit:( Transformer output is now at 20 volts and working fine!
Thanks again for the help

Andy

Brian_UK
16-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the update Andy and glad to hear that the matter is resolved.

chillin out
17-04-2007, 02:08 AM
The grid is not working properly, even if it was off it would make score lines.

Did you check the fuse?

Did you check for L/N at the grid terminals?

Who's the daddy????

LLLOLLL

Glad you got it sorted.

Abe
17-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Hello guys, I fitted a replacement cutter grid to a K40 icemaker today and couldn't believe how slow the cutting process seemed to be. It was being fed with about 7 volts from the transformer - is this normal ? or is the transformer knackered as well ? It did eventually start to score the ice but by then the next slab of ice had been produced and delivered to the grid. I know that they are slow but surely the system should be faster than this.

Andy

Me personally, I prefer the spray types
But glad your problem is sorted

:)

Brian_UK
17-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Who's the daddy????
Smart ar*e:D :cool: :D ;) :D

chillin out
19-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Smart ar*e:D :cool: :D ;) :D
Oh yes, thats me alright.

I can't even remember the last time I was wrong..lol

The MG Pony
26-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Any one know of a source of cheap used or new Coaxial condensers? 6,000BTU or down?

slingblade
26-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh yes, thats me alright.

I can't even remember the last time I was wrong..lol

You aren't South African by any chance are you?:D

Abe
26-04-2007, 09:48 PM

My . My Sling........
Welcome back
:)

chillin out
26-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Would this be a request for a 'warning' from a moderator?

LOL.