PDA

View Full Version : Glossary update

lana
30-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi everybody,
I was wondering about the Glossary section which would be a lot of help for so many people. Why is this section not being completed?:confused: OR who is responsible for this, maybe other people can help to get it started ASAP.
Cheers:)

nh3simman
30-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I agree, If it were editable, I wouldn't mind contributing to the development of the glossary.

chillin out
30-03-2007, 11:43 AM
It is editable, Click where it says "Glossary Tools" and select 'Add new term'.
Make sure you put it in the correct section though.

I think there is a wait time after you enter it so it can be updated.

Chillin:) :)

lana
30-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Where is the "Glossary Tools" ?

chillin out
30-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Go to the page where you can search the glossary,
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/glossary.php

Underneath the search box you have another 4 boxes, to the right of the headings you will see the option for "Glossary Tools"

Click it and it will drop down another box, click this and enter your term.

Chillin:) :)

lana
31-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks Chillin out, BUT I don't have that. Maybe that is for Moderators only.
Cheers

lana
01-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Chillin out, BUT I don't have that. Maybe that is for Moderators only.
Cheers

Hi everybody,
Anybody cares to reply?:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:
Cheers

WebRam
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
the glossary should be updated by the mods :)

Dan has been doing a stellar job so far but it does take some time

lana
01-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks a lot Sir.

WebRam
02-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Those wishing to contribute to the RE glossary can do so by going to their User CP and choosing the group membership link on the left near the bottom. then click the Join RE Member.

If that works (LOL) then I will set your permissions to allow you access to the Glossary.

Cheers

lana
02-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks a lot boss. I try to add the terms. How long will it take for the terms to be shown?

WebRam
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
they should show now :)

thanks

lana
02-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Thank you.

I hope they are checked before they are available for others.:) specially for the categories.

Dan
07-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Lana deserves praise for her contributions. I think you might have a future moderator with her. She impresses me.

lana
07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks a lot Dan. Glad to help.
Cheers

Dan
07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
On the other hand, we have the simple words popping up too often. Compressor, condenser, etc. I don't see harm in editing the lean definitions. For example, I might choose to add "Refrigeration compressors can be reciprocating, etc. But knowing when to end explanations is much like tuck pointing. There is no easily noticed stopping point.

Any way to make only the first mention of a word a link?
Any way to only link "reciprocating compressor" to a link that has both words?

This is very much like tuckpointing. Removing grout or mortar between bricks, and replacing it with new mortar. There is an acknowledged need to begin, but once you begin, there is not an acknowledged stopping point.

But if we use the word "compressor" I see no harm after defining what it does, having a sensible list as to what varieties there are and how they accomplish compression.

lana
07-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Dear Dan,
I agree with you completely.
As I said before, it would be better that whatever is added in the glossary (by me or anybody else) be checked before it is shown.
The best party would be the WebRam and the moderators.
Any suggestion is welcomed.
The whole idea is that the words be some help for people who are new to this trade, not to bother them:rolleyes: .
Cheers

WebRam
07-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Had to laugh at Dan's Snake Oil. I almost never put it in but what the heck Dan LOL

US Iceman
07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Snake oil was very popular a long time ago as it cured everything. In fact it was so good, many marketing people are starting to use it again.:rolleyes: