PDA

View Full Version : ??

SamiJo
27-03-2007, 02:13 PM
can anyone tell me what type of insulation to use for a fridge-freezer that is environmentally friendly and thin??:confused::D

Brian_UK
27-03-2007, 06:09 PM
All insulation now-a-days is environmentally friendly.

What type of freezer are you trying to insulate?

SamiJo
27-03-2007, 09:32 PM
a fridge-freezer that uses regular domestic fridge freezer technology however cfc/hfc free and uses a natural gas refrigerant??

:confused:

Brian_UK
27-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm still unsure here, sorry.

Are you building your own fridge/freezer from scratch?

There are models about that use HCs as a refrigerant is that the sort you mean?

You could try blown foam insulation if you have odd shaped space to fill or for the really exotic you could try Cryocoat(TM) UL79 which is used for insulating Helium tanks by NASA.

SamiJo
27-03-2007, 11:27 PM
sorry - i am designing a fridge freezer and have to know what technology it is going to use, what insulation, how it is manufactured etc....as you can tell i dont know much on the technical side when it comes to fridge-freezers. i am just really looking for suggestions from you guys.

Thanks for your help.

Brian_UK
27-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, I have to say that if you are designing a fridge/freezer then you had better attend some rather rapid technology training as you you won't learn it on the net.

The pretty outside casing does not an efficient product make.

SamiJo
29-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Well, I have to say that if you are designing a fridge/freezer then you had better attend some rather rapid technology training as you you won't learn it on the net.

The pretty outside casing does not an efficient product make.

yeah i know, however i dont need to know everything about how it works - i just have to suggest how it works - as the project will then be passed on to engineers - (a bit like yourself). My project is a little bit more indepth and has a bigger background than just designing a fridge. and yes designers make things look pretty but also no how to make them work thank you very much.

I came to this website as i thought you all knew your stuff and that i could get a quick answer - (this being my first source before i turn to books)

So ehh.. thanks for the comment

Brian_UK
29-03-2007, 05:18 PM
OK, so we know where you are coming from and apologies if I ruffled some feathers; we do get some odd requests here sometimes.

As far as natural refrigerants go for the domestic market there only seems to be two in use at the moment, ammonia(NH3) and hydrocarbons(HC).

NH3 tends to be restricted to the smaller refrigerators using gas or electric heat to power it.

The compressor types using HC are already established and are as near as damnit identical to the CFC/HCFC/HFC type units.

Some types of fridge/freezer utilize two compressors, one for each section, whilst the majority use one compressor.

To be honest I can't think of any method of improving the existing stock items using the present technology within a reasonable price range.

Peter_1
29-03-2007, 08:55 PM
If you want it real thin, then make vacuum panels.

SamiJo
29-03-2007, 11:45 PM
thanks for the advice. i appreciate the help.

:-)