PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint FFS70 defrosting and high temp leds lit

Aitcho
27-03-2007, 10:02 AM
The 'defrosting' and 'high temperature' leds are lit on my Hotpoint FFS70 fridge/freezer.

I have been told to unplug the freezer for a period of 24/48 hours in case there is a build-up of ice behind the fridge/freezer compartments.

In addition it has been suggested that I replace the thermostat, how easy is it to do this and where is it located on this particular model?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - Aitcho

Brian_UK
27-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Aitcho and welcome to the forum.

Without wanting to move you somewhere else may I point you towards the UK Whitegoods forum and this particular entry which I think matches your problem.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21391&highlight=ffs70

Aitcho
28-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the URL link.

So far have followed the procedure mentioned in the thread on the 'ukwhitegoods' site, the freezer was relatively clear of any icing problem.

I am waiting for a replacement thermostat so that I can try that as the next step, although at the moment I've no idea where the thermostat is located in the freezer.

Trying to find a sectionalized drawing on the web of the FFS70S.

Cheers - Aitcho

chillin out
28-03-2007, 11:12 AM
The 'defrosting' and 'high temperature' leds are lit on my Hotpoint FFS70 fridge/freezer.
At the same time all the time?

Looks like the defrost timer is goosed/faulty.

Chillin:) :)

Aitcho
28-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes, the "Food Defrost Alert" and "Freezer High Temp" leds are lit all the time.

There is no apparent cooling going on at all, I was advised to initially replace the 'thermostat control', so have just ordered one.

All food has been transferred to another fridge!

Cheers - Aitcho

chillin out
28-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Is it an electronic controller?

Aitcho
28-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Is it an electronic controller?

Looking at an image of the Thermostat Controller I would say it was not, it just looks like a chunk of metal with no wires coming from it at all.

I cannot post a URL to the Hotpoint spares website where an image is located due to insufficient postings on this site.

I just have to locate the part in the fridge/freezer to see how it is connected.

Cheers - Aitcho

chillin out
29-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I am looking at the "Hotpoint FFS70S Spare Parts & Accessories" page..
http://www.espares.co.uk/parts/fridges-and-freezers/hotpoint/ffs70s/p/1084/808/0/433667?page=10

Module Pcb

I think this is what you need. The temp control is just a potentiometer.
The Module Pcb is what controls the defrosting.

Aitcho
29-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the advice Chillin, will see what affect if any the Thermostat controller has once I receive and install it.

If still no joy will order the 'Moldule Pcb'.

I have been experiencing problems with the mains voltage and our power supplier did have a 'voltage recorder' installed in the house for a month to check our mains voltage.

The voltage recorder did record voltage spikes, further monitoring equipment was then installed in our local sub-station.

So there could be a possiblity that a power spike might have affected the Module pcb.

Cheers - Aitcho

Brian_UK
29-03-2007, 05:08 PM
So there could be a possiblity that a power spike might have affected the Module pcb.It might be prudent to fit a surge suppressor in the line after you get the beast working again.

Aitcho
30-03-2007, 11:08 AM
It might be prudent to fit a surge suppressor in the line after you get the beast working again.

When we started having having problems with the mains supply I made sure that my hi-fi systems and computer systems were protected using surge protectors.

Never did get around to using any with the fridge/freezer!

Although the electric supply company appear to have now sorted out our mains supply problem will make sure that a surge protector is used in conjunction with the fridge/freezer.

Cheers - Aitcho

Aitcho
31-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Module Pcb
I think this is what you need. The temp control is just a potentiometer.
The Module Pcb is what controls the defrosting.

Thanks Chillin!!! :D:D

Took your advice and ordered the 'PCB Module' yesterday (Friday), it arrived this morning and I have just fitted it and the fridge/freezer is now working.

Just set the freezer on "fast freeze" to speed up cooling.

Cheers - Aitcho

chillin out
31-03-2007, 11:27 AM
No problem mate, glad This site was of use to you.

Just set the freezer on "fast freeze" to speed up cooling.
Myth... I have only ever seen one type of cabinet the would make it freeze faster. All most of them do is run the comp continually, which it will do anyway because it is high temp at the moment.

The 'real' fast freeze cabinets speed the evaporator fan up to circulate the air more.

pip
07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi - i have a similar problem (same model) in that high temp light is lit a lot of the time and the freezer is caked with ice. I defrosted it (by unplugging it) but after another week or so it is caked with ice again. This was all preceeded by days of very loud constant buzzing/vibrating noise (now stopped). Would a new pcb module be the answer or is it the fan?
Grateful for any help