PDA

View Full Version : Low Temp, Compression Ratio

w.l.ong
25-03-2007, 04:49 AM
Hello,
can i know what is the max compression Ratio for semi-hermetic comp 1 stage. for low temp (et -30C)
r22 LP 2psi, HP 245psi.

regards.
w.l.ong

NoNickName
25-03-2007, 12:39 PM
It all depends on compressor type and brand. For sure you will not be able to buy a compressor with a 245/2=120 times compression ratio. More likely ratio=from 6 to 10.

kingice
25-03-2007, 04:24 PM
You will need to bring your head pressure down ,somehow,or that compressor will burn up.With that compression ratio like that, even a two stage would be in danger of burning up.

US Iceman
25-03-2007, 04:41 PM
2 psig (16.8 psia) = approximately -36F
245 psig (260.8) = approximately 116F

Pressure ratio = 260.8 / 16.8 = 15.6:1

That's too high for a single stage recip to be reasonable. A screw compressor may be an acceptable choice for single stage duty, BUT, this is a rather severe duty to expect a long life from the compressor.

For an industrial duty screw compressor this is possible. For a commercial duty screw compressor it might work OK for a reasonable time.

For a recip. compressor operating with one stage, the max. compression ratio (Pressure ratio) would be as NoNickName mentioned. 6-10 would be the maximum.

lana
26-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi there,

Try to use Demand Cooling compressor. The manufacherer data states that you can do that.
BUT remember this type of compressor is good for cold product, i.e. the product comes into the cold room cold. Like ice cream or frozen products. If it is subjected to hot or warm product all the time, there will be problems for compressor.
Cheers:)

w.l.ong
03-04-2007, 07:42 AM
last weeks, i change the txv, the txv valve is jamm...

now the suction pressure is high...
LP: 14psi HP:275psi...
the room temp rich -25C..all ok..

Thank for help...

w.l.ong

lana
03-04-2007, 08:06 AM
last weeks, i change the txv, the txv valve is jamm...

now the suction pressure is high...
LP: 14psi HP:275psi...
the room temp rich -25C..all ok..

Thank for help...

w.l.ong

Hi Ong,
Glad to hear that you solved the problem.

I have to say that if you are using a single stage compressor with R22, make sure that the operating conditions are within the recommended envelop of the manufacturer. If the compressor is not recommended to use in those conditions then you will have a compressor break down in the future.
The reason is simple: if the minimum operating evaporating temperature of the compressor is -25°C and it is operated at -30°C then the compression ratio would be high which would lead to high discharge temp. and then compressor would get warmer and hotter in time which would make its life shorter.
Hope this helps.
Lana:)

w.l.ong
03-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Helo Lana,

i am using low temp compressor it from germany..
the operating limit is -20C to -45C for R22.
the comp. oil sum body temp is abit hot, i can't hold it more then 5 sec... suction pipe is iceing.

i can said that this comp. ratio is about:
LP: 14 psi HP: 275 psi ratio about 10.1 : 1
am i right?

regards.
w.l.ong

lana
03-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi Ong,

The compression ratio must be calculated with absolute pressures NOT gauge pressure.
The compressor is correct for your application. Make sure that additional cooling is not required for the compressor. I mean cooling with additional fan or water circuit.
Also, these kinds of compressors are good for cold products only, as I said before.
Hope this helps.
Cheers:)

w.l.ong
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Hello Lana,
yes i already add the absolute pressures + pressure gauge
to get the pressure ratio...

w.l.ong

Peter_1
03-04-2007, 09:11 PM
We have some Copelands running on R22 with the given pecs (freezer application)
It are Demand Cooling compressors (liquid injection in a special channel inside the compressor)