PDA

View Full Version : lockring

who m i
24-03-2007, 06:56 AM
hi all,
I am new to this... can anyone plz xplain bout lockring??? is there any substitute for this which is cost effective???

NoNickName
24-03-2007, 11:44 AM
What do you mean by lockring?

Brian_UK
24-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Lokring is a method of joining pipes without brazing.

See here:-

http://www.lokring.com/index.html

Dan
24-03-2007, 07:42 PM
These are specialty fittings that you would consider for specialty application. Look at automobile air conditioning, for example. We see everything BUT brazed copper fittings.

But for stationary equipment, the most reliable, economical construction is brazed copper or welded steel depending upon refrigerants used.

You might choose something like "lock-ring" to repair a joint between aluminum and copper as a best solution.

Brian_UK
24-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I would agree with Dan and add that I have used it for some a/c work on R22 in the past where we were not able to braze pipework within the building.

It proved very useful and I believe is still leak tight.

I think also that some domestic guys use it to fit a blank plug after charging via the process stub.

Dan
24-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I have also seen compression fittings for A/C connections between copper discharge lines and aluminum condensers. These employed a union, compression ferrules and high temperature rubber O-rings. I have an old set of Watsco connectalls left over from a repair I did 20 years ago. Lock-ring looks like the best available today.

who m i
03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
hey thanx..but it there any other material which can used which is not as costly as locking????or some rigid plastic kind of material which can fulfill same purpose????

750 Valve
03-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Not that I'm aware of, lokring is good - worth the cash if soldering the pipes is not an option

Cofreth
03-04-2007, 04:13 PM
What about a flare joint?

750 Valve
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Lokring is rated to a higher burst pressure than a flare joint, a far better connection with less chance of leaks.

subzerokent
10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
can anyone recomend a supplyer for these fittings as i feel im getting ripped off from were im getting them from at the moment
thanks ian

hyperion
10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Lockring is normally supplied via the normal trade wholesalers ie. HRP or Wolseley and there may be several others. Suggest you contact your local branch for a quotation.

wally0130
13-01-2011, 04:13 PM
You can get them online now at theLOKRINGstore.com

charlie patt
13-01-2011, 09:32 PM
ian look up vulcan lockring and srw do them if you buy enough you get free carriage at srw as a idea a3/8 straight coupler is 2.41 gbp if you need alloy speak to vulcan they are very helpfull

tudorice
13-01-2011, 10:36 PM
wasnt the lockring also what caused that explosion at tesco's? Doesnt seem that good if thats what happens when it does fail.

charlie patt
14-01-2011, 06:05 PM
tudor everything has its limit and my limit is silly pressures like co2. if you dont fully install the pipe or use the sealant or use a 10 mm ring on a 3/8 pipe it will leak to be fair to lockring our only problems have been dad install or dirt

ICE/RUNNER
14-01-2011, 07:06 PM
We tried lokring on one of our units, they were a complete waste of time unless the pipe is imaculate, all our units operate in marine or offshoe enviorenments so that not possible.
We stopped using them in favor of Hy-Lok double ferrule fittings as these are far easier to use and are available from most Hydraulic suppliers.
They come in brass and Stainless steel so corrosion is not a problem.

Brian_UK
14-01-2011, 07:36 PM
We tried Lokring on one of our units, they were a complete waste of time unless the pipe is immaculate, all our units operate in marine or offshoe environments so that not possible.
<snip>
I think that is a rather general dismissive statement. I've used them in the past without problem as have a vast number of other users.

Just because your working environment is not conducive to correct usage should not condemn the product.

ICE/RUNNER
14-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I stand corrected, I am sure that many people have found them to be suitable for their use.
I did not mean to condem the product, it has its area of usage, just not on what we operate.

charlie patt
14-01-2011, 08:13 PM
i agree with brian and ice we look after some marine kit and it is a very harsh enviroment and unless pipes are good they do leak buts thats what nitro is for you just cant beat a braize but with hot works r 600 and alloy what else is there that is fairly cheap and easy to fit