PDA

View Full Version : cooling tower's free cooling issue

Lc_shi
22-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi Sir
Who have the real practice for the cooling tower free cooling application? Is it beneficial to retrofit the existed sytem for free cooling? Any concerns:confused:

regards
LC

NoNickName
22-03-2007, 09:50 AM
What type of cooling tower? Not all of them are suitable for FC operation.

Lc_shi
23-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Is there any limitation for open or close type cooling tower? The system design may be different but both of them can be used for FC. it's my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

regards
LC

NoNickName
23-03-2007, 08:52 AM
No, open type tower cannot be used for FC, and closed type with tap water is a no-go as well.
Brine must be used. For this, a drycooler is my favourite.

lana
23-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi there,

Cooling process in the cooling tower depends on ambient wet bulb temp. therefore, free cooling is done when the ambient temp (dry and wet) decreases.
In some applications free cooling can be achieved during winter time.
For dry cooler the process completely depends on dry bulb temp. Again during winter the fans can be switched off and get some cooling if the application allows. But the pump still runs:D . so it is not completely free.
Cheers:)

MGMS
27-02-2010, 05:40 AM
You can do free-cooling with any type of cooling tower, the main factor is air wet bulb temperature. Depending on the type of cooling tower, the system will need to be configured on a different way.

Fire Fly
13-10-2010, 01:11 PM
There are some limitations to using cooling towers. Their ability to cool is based on how much water is lost due to evaporation. The evaporation from a cooling tower is based on the quality of air in the surrounding area. If an area has high humidity, less water will evaporate than in a dry climate. In the winter, cooling towers are usually able to cool more efficiently as the air is drier. If the water is needed to be cooled to higher than 75°F, a cooling tower is recommended, dependent upon wet bulb temperature for the region. If water is needed to be cooler, a chiller may be better suited to your cooling needs than a cooling tower.

sedgy
13-10-2010, 05:18 PM
20 years ago , airedale produced computer room a-c using free standing a-h-units with the compressor in the same unit , and using glycol for the free cooling by way of a dry cooler< or condencer in sumer<

NoNickName
13-10-2010, 09:05 PM
It's a very well known setup, and still used nowadays.

tian.li@189.cn
29-10-2010, 05:52 AM
yes, it's very popular application of free cooling in HVAC or FC area.
in winter or cooler season, we can shut down the chiller and use the cooling tower make cool water then supply to working area. this can save huge energy cost of chiller.
the key problem is the water quality control for the cooling water. so normally recommend close circuit cooling tower which the cooling water will flow inside of circuit to avoid dirty air.

abdul rasheed
09-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Hy;
i need a ccoling tower For An absorption chiller in pakistan The capacity of Chiller is 3489 KW. Wich cooling tower is best . and what is ideal Range of cooling water For Absorption chiller.

THanks ,

chandra159
09-11-2010, 01:09 PM
How to calculate cooling tower capacity & give me basic details

Daniel Salinas
30-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Hy;
i need a ccoling tower For An absorption chiller in pakistan The capacity of Chiller is 3489 KW. Wich cooling tower is best . and what is ideal Range of cooling water For Absorption chiller.

THanks ,
HI

I can help you, could you e-mail me to daniel.salinas@termosolucionessa.com, im from colombia.

Best regards

Daniel salinas