PDA

View Full Version : In search of Gosney

nh3simman
21-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Anyone have a copy of Gosney you looking to sell?:)

Gosney, W. B. Principles of Refrigeration. Cambridge University Press, New York, 1982.

I know its out if print and a bit dated now but I would like to get a copy for record.

I bought Dossat and Horan instead but I'm not happy with it.

Anyone know how to get hold of Thomas Horan? I have a few questions...:confused:

US Iceman
21-03-2007, 09:53 PM
The Gosney book is very good. I have had my copy for many years and would recommend it...if you can find a copy. Have you tried Alibris or Abe books yet?

Has the Dossat book been revised enough now that it is starting to be questionable?

nh3simman
22-03-2007, 05:51 AM
Have you tried Alibris or Abe

Has the Dossat book been revised enough now that it is starting to be questionable?

Thanks, I have tried all the on-line book sellers I can find. Even tried some contacts at Cambridge. I have borrowed Gosney from the Engineering library and I agree it is worth having.

I have Dossat 5th ed. My opinion is that it is not a strong theoretical reference.

I often turn to ASHRAE Handbooks but I'm getting very frustrated by the number of mistakes I find. You mentioned the Froude number before. Well ASHRAE Fundamentals 2005 has 4 correlations for boiling in 2-phase flow. I am writing a small test program to compare these and got some odd numbers. Turns out that the Froude number is incorrectly defined!

Argus
22-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Bookfinder.com have a copy..... it must be good, look at the price!

I hope this link works

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=LKuCKLqdsOwTTOJR7tjNf7jvxA0_8468236199_1:1:1

nh3simman
22-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Bookfinder.com have a copy..... it must be good, look at the price!

I hope this link works

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=LKuCKLqdsOwTTOJR7tjNf7jvxA0_8468236199_1:1:1

Wow, a that price it better be delivered by Gosney himself.

US Iceman
22-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Turns out that the Froude number is incorrectly defined!

I'm not surprised. I have experienced similar frustrations in trying to develop other heat transfer problems. After several attempts at multiple projects I quickly realized you cannot take anything for granted or trust the assumptions of others.

Some of the best papers I have seen on two-phase boiling were written by John Thome. Those would be my suggestion for a place to start.