PDA

View Full Version : fridgmaster

spennyy2k
16-03-2007, 12:10 AM
hi i am unsure of the model but i have a fridgemaster single freezer, today it seems to have stopped running properly i can hear a "metalic clicking" noise now and again (im assuming its the thermostat, but this doesnt make a noise if i move the dial) but the motor isnt humming but its casing is slightly warm to the touch, there has been a very small amount of water come from the underside of the freezer but non from inside and is still quite cold inside, would anyone know if its worth a repair or sling it in the skip?

Electrocoolman
16-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Clicking noise is compressor protection 'KLIXON' overload. You need to unplug the freezer...before (anymore ) damage is done to the compressor.

The compressor is not starting....this could be for several reasons....compressor stuck, windings, or possibly simply the start relay.
You will need to diagnose the compressor fault further.
I guess you are not familiar with compressor electrics so would point you in the direction of a repair guy...he sould be able to diagnose the problem fairly quickly.
If its the compressor, then you would need to look carefully at the economics of replacement. A relay on the other hand would probably be worth replacing.

spennyy2k
16-03-2007, 08:03 AM
ok cheers for the help :D

spennyy2k
16-03-2007, 05:10 PM
ok had a little look myself today.. emtyed the freezer and left it turned off all day, took the cover off the thermostat and the connections to the compressor (assumeing its the relay there and something else, a round unit at the top and a square one at the bottom each with 2 connecttors best i can tell) all the connections are fine when i turn the freezer on the compressor runs for 5-10 secs then i get the noise again does this sound more like the relay than the actual compressor itself?

Electrocoolman
16-03-2007, 09:22 PM
You need to fault find for which you will need a Resistance / continuity test meter

Down at the compressor......the "round unit at the top" (probably with one wire connected to the top central terminal on the compressor) is the klixon cutout.
The "square one at the bottom" is the relay, and might have a coil of copper coloured wire visible towards the lower half.

WITH EVERYTHING DISCONNECTED FROM THE MAINS POWER....you need firstly need to make a note of the connecting wires.
You then need to pull the relay from the compressor and disconnect the wire* from it...it mounts onto two pins beneath the previously mentioned top pin. (the 3 pins form a triangle).
*If more than one terminal on the relay with wires on it you will probably have a start capacitor in the circuit and the following test needs modifying in respect of the S terminal check.

The relay should rattle when shaken. When you look at it the two connections that push on to the pins should be marked M (or R) and S. You will need to test the relay with the meter. You should have continuity between the M and the terminal which had the wire connected to it. You then need to check between the S and the same terminal as previous.
With the relay held the same way it is mounted on the compressor (coil down) there should be NO circuit, but when you turn it upside down (coil up) you should have a ROCK STEADY CONTINUOUS reading....if not the relay is faulty.

good luck

Whilst you have the relay in your hand, make a note of the code on it. You will also need the information from the label on the side of the compressor.

spennyy2k
16-03-2007, 11:09 PM
cheers...ill try that after st paddys day :p:p

spennyy2k
19-03-2007, 06:57 PM
well i just tryed what you said with the relay and i have a continuous circuit on all 3 pins wichever way up it is so it looks like thats the problem ...

cheers ste