PDA

View Full Version : Absorbtion refrigerator

explorer
23-05-2002, 04:40 PM
I want to fit a small absorbtion refrigerator In a caravan (running off butane gas.) The problem I have is the aluminium exhaust is not long enough to reach outside chimney fitting and needs extending. My question is: can I use copper pipe for the exhaust or would the fumes from the butane gas flame react with the copper?

The manufacturers want an arm and a leg for the extended/ shaped exhaust I require, and no-one local can supply.

I have the same size copper pipe to hand but was worried It may not be safe to use. Can anyone confirm it would be ok or unsafe to use copper for the exhaust?

Thanks.

Bill Nelson
23-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Why not try your copper pipe for a while, and then examine it for chemical reaction?

Brian_UK
23-05-2002, 11:01 PM
Explorer, this question really relates to gas safety but I will pose a couple of replies....

Is this gas fridge a new model or an old one ?

If it is one of the new balanced flue gas fridge that have been developed for the inland waterways BSC scheme then make sure that you use two tubes.

I would also ask whether you are LPG corgi registered to fit this fridge safely (I am not inferring that you are unsafe :) ).

Andy
24-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Hi, Explorer. Also if you fit this fridge yourself you may run into a difficulty with insurance, either they ask for details of the corgi guy who fitted it, when quoting insurance or if the worst happens they may not pay out on a claim, even an un-related one.
Safer get a corgi resgistered installer in, I had to for my gas hob at home.
Regards. Andy.

explorer
24-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Thanks for contris. All noted.