PDA

View Full Version : What if...?

SamiJo
14-03-2007, 12:31 AM
If 'Smart' (as in Smart who do the small compact car) was to design and manufacture a fridge-freezer......what fridge/freezer technology would it use?how would it work?what materials would it be made from?

just asking cos i need some ideas from people who know the technical stuff...

Any ideas welcome...

please help...

Cheers

S

The Viking
14-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Smart???

Would probably be something like this...
:D

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/HalfordsConsumerDirect/images/catalog/400-173781.jpg

momo
14-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Good example from The Viking, however too small for real party animals and Peltiers don't keep the ice cold enough:D, yet:rolleyes: even with gas heat distribution:confused: (Ok for wines at 12-16C)
Why did Smart not include that optional extra? Maybe they are saving it for the "Six pack" instead of the "ForFour" ;)

Karl Hofmann
14-03-2007, 08:25 PM
It would have pop off polycarbonate panels which could be changed as you changed your decor or kitchen. It would be adequate for what it was designed to do but people would ask it to do too much and of course it would never be used as it's makers intended..It would not be all that economical given its deminutive size but would be funky and eye catching untill every bugger got one

Oh and its makers would delight in showing you well it bounces off the front of Mercedes cars:D

Obi Wan
14-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Well ! where do I start?

For a start it would have a bar code scanner so as you put in the food from the weekly shop you scan in the items. The fridge would now know what food is in the fridge and when the use by date has lapsed. Also as you take food out you scan the item out, the fridge can make a shopping list automatically.
It would need to have an internet connection to automatically transmit the shopping list to Sainsbury to restock itself.
A touch screen PC on the front must be a curtsey detail. You could at a touch of the screen search the internet for recipes based on the food available in the fridge.
Built in video camera would be a basic requirement so you could leave a video message for your better half. (kinda like a video message board)
Hands free telephone via the touch screen PC would be a standard option.
Enough hard drive space for your entire CD and DVD collection.

Where can I buy one of these things??:cool:

Latte
14-03-2007, 11:49 PM
How about a bloody great sticker on it somewhere saying DO NOT DEFROST THE COIL WITH A KNIFE !!!

Regards

Raymond

SamiJo
15-03-2007, 01:29 PM
all these replys are great...thanks...does anyone else have any ideas...

...i want this fridge to be CFC/HFC free...i found that isobutane is a natural gas and could work quite the same...is this true..how harmful is it? and would it work in the same way as CFCs?

en9ech
21-03-2007, 10:30 PM
all these replys are great...thanks...does anyone else have any ideas...

...i want this fridge to be CFC/HFC free...i found that isobutane is a natural gas and could work quite the same...is this true..how harmful is it? and would it work in the same way as CFCs?

If it is a small fridge you are after, check out fridges for caravans and motorhomes...there are loads available now. Waeco have a good selection.

Isobutane is a hydrocarbon and as such is classed a natural refrigerant yes. It could be used in a vapour compression refrigeration circuit in much the same way as any CFC or HFC.

What would you like to run the fridge on? Calor gas, electricity, from battery or mains, solar...that'd be green!!

What part of green interests you most? a friendly refrigerant or low energy usage....how about air (yes I did mean to write air) or carbon dioxide as refrigerants??

Ed

NoNickName
22-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I think SMART would make a refrigerator with an extremely small compressor, and let it run with a turboinverter at 400Hz. It would cool things down, but would have no space to store anything, so it would eventually just chill itself.
And because the ratio between width, length and height would make it resemble a wooden crate, it would be fitted with a roll bar to prevent the unit being installed upside down.