PDA

View Full Version : Ducted AirCon Leaking into Ceiling

plucka99
12-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi,
I have a carrier ducted system in my house- 3 years old. Noticed yesterday (very hot day 38 degrees) that there was a leak comming right through the ceiling underneath the aircon unit in the roof space. I climbed up there expected the drain pan/pipe to be leaking but found this to be working fine. The leak is actually comming from the ducting right after it comes out of the unit. Any ideas on this one? Only thing I noticed was a bit of the ducting had come slightly loose from where it attaches to the unit. I was thinking maybe some outside hot air is being drawn in and condesing causing the water or am I totally wrong? I'm going to duct tape the loose ducting up again in anycase. Is this something I should have checked out- any clues anyone?

Latte
12-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Are there any filters on the system ?

Blocked filters would cause a loss of airflow accross the coil and cause it to possibly ice up.

Just a though as its normally best to check the basics first and go from there

Regards

Raymond

plucka99
12-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Hi,
Yes it have 2 filters which I regularly clean, but being 3 years old perhaps its time for new ones?

tjk2007
12-03-2007, 07:33 AM
HI,
Kindly reply me for the following queries,

fluid :water
temp.difference:12 deg Farenheit
Tonne of refrigeration :1
flow rate:?

Kindly do the calculation in both US and SI units

Regards
JK

Forward to mailid:tjk2007@gmail.com

Jase
12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Is the supply air ducting insulated? If not, then make sure to insulate!

Jase

plucka99
12-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi,
The problem is the main drain appears to be blocked. The water is collecting in the secondary pan and draining through the emergency drain. I turned the a/c off and just ran it on fan overnight and the duct is already dried out. Next question- any tips on clearing the pipe? Do I have to cut the pipe to unblock it every time or is there an easier way? Maybe drill a small hole in it and shove some wire down it?

Cofreth
13-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi,
The problem is the main drain appears to be blocked. The water is collecting in the secondary pan and draining through the emergency drain. I turned the a/c off and just ran it on fan overnight and the duct is already dried out. Next question- any tips on clearing the pipe? Do I have to cut the pipe to unblock it every time or is there an easier way? Maybe drill a small hole in it and shove some wire down it?

Do you have a wet & dry vacuum cleaner? Vacuum it at the drain outlet. I guess you have the blockage at the U-trap

wombat
14-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi,

Cutting the pipe either side of the trap and fitting clear PVC pipe with clamps allows cleaning and future removal. Generally 20mm pipe is used.
After cleaning the trap, blow through the drain pipe either way to clear.

TRASH101
15-03-2007, 01:25 AM
I suggest that it is imperative that the filtration should be clean enough to allow the correct airflow rate to be conditioned as well as (pointed out by jase) the insulation on the discharge ductwork should be well enough insulated as the moisture content (not necessarily RH%) on hot days can be quite high and therefore the dew point of the air will be higher.

good luck

plucka99
15-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Hi,

Cutting the pipe either side of the trap and fitting clear PVC pipe with clamps allows cleaning and future removal. Generally 20mm pipe is used.
After cleaning the trap, blow through the drain pipe either way to clear.

Hi,
Good idea. In the end though I just drilled a small hole in the pipe before the trap and shoved down some 4mm plastic tubing I had (mirco-spray tubing). That cleared the blockage nicely so all is running normal again. Just taped the hole up so in future it will be easy to do again. Now I just have to fix the ceiling!

Gary
15-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi,
The problem is the main drain appears to be blocked. The water is collecting in the secondary pan and draining through the emergency drain.

The secondary pan should have a drain that is piped outdoors directly above a window. That way, if you look out the window and see water dripping down, you know it is time to clean the primary drain.