PDA

View Full Version : alternative refrigerants

connorcrush
16-05-2002, 04:07 PM
I'm looking for the latest information on alternatives to R-22. I haven't looked at this area in a while and was wondering what the latest developments are and where is the best information to be found. Thanks for any info!

Prof Sporlan
17-05-2002, 02:06 AM
I'm looking for the latest information on alternatives to R-22.
Not much has changed in this area in quite some time. R-410A, a.k.a. Genetron AZ-20, SUVA 9100, and Puron, is the high pressure alternative. This refrigerant is being used for residential unitary a/c and heat pump systems. UT-Carrier has been manufacturing these units for some time, and most other manufacturers of this type of equipment will be following suit shortly. R-410A will likely be used for air conditioning equipment up to about 25 ton circuits.... Copeland will shortly, if they haven't done so already, introduce a 25 hp R-410A scroll compressor.

R-407C is the other R-22 alternative. Its pressures are similar to R-22, but it possesses a significant temperature glide. No doubt it will continue to have some popularity, particularly with larger capacity systems, including chillers.

R-417A, a.k.a. NU-22 and ISCEON 59, is another R-22 alternative blend seeing some promotion in the U.S.

R-290 (propane) is another viable R-22 alternative, though its flammability will limit its use.

Rick Harris
17-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Connorcrush:I don't know if you have access to Isceon 59 there but I can tell you I have been retrofiitng it in every type of kit known on my site incuding heat pumps,splits,computer room units and so on.It is made by Rhodia here and you have no oil change to worry about and the preformance is way better with approx 10% less used energy.All I do is change the drier and oil if I can and set the superheat up if required.The pressures and temps are virtually the same.It will also replace 407C if you have to use a new outdoor unit on 407Cwith an old indoor unit on R22 Give it a try Cheers Rick