PDA

View Full Version : geothermal heat pump

goodguy
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I am building a new house and have decided to install a geothermal heat pump. I am undecided on the heat source, a ground loop system or a pump and dump system. I am aware of pros and cons to each system, but ultimately the installation costs are comparable. Could someone help me make a decision.
thanks in advance.:)

taz24
10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Could someone help me make a decision.

A few things I can think of are.

Have you got a plentiful supply of ground water and is it likely ever to dry up in future.
A constant supply of ground water is not garentee'd but a closed loop will always be in the ground and never dry out.
If the install costs are equal then I would look at long term running costs.
With a closed circuit system once its primed and working the only costs long term will be the running cost of the small pump to circulate the water through the system.
With an open circuit you will need to take into consideration filter costs and the extra large sized pump running costs.
With a closed loop the pump can be quite small because moving the water in the loop is relatively easy compared to the effort required to pump water up from a well at depth.

taz.

taz24
10-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Could someone help me make a decision.

Another point I have thought of.

In the UK a permit to extract water from the ground is required by law.
The return water to the ground must free from contaminates. If you extract dirty contaminated water it needs to be treated and clean when it goes back in the ground.
Might not be the same where you live but worth looking into.
taz.

NoNickName
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I vote for ground loop. Almost maintenance free for decades.

goodguy
10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I am kind of leaning toward a ground loop system but the only other benefit to a well system is that the water temp is warmer than a loop system would deliver, meaning less run time and possibly a slightly smaller unit.
I have to install a well for domestic water anyway because there is no municipal hook up, so my domestic water would be the same as what is heating my house and there is know laws on filtering water going into the ground. Any more info appreciated.
Thanks

ucesmik
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello,

Any idea about a software or relevent reference which can help in natural gas pipe sizing for a building plant room located at a higher level.

Regards

Ajaz

The Viking
10-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Ajaz,
Wrong board.
But to answer your question:
Any CORGI (registered) guy should have the knowledge of how to size the gas pipes.
And to design gas pipework you should have a CORGI guy involved.
:cool:

Karl Hofmann
11-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Hello,

Any idea about a software or relevent reference which can help in natural gas pipe sizing for a building plant room located at a higher level.

Regards

Ajaz

No software needed, it is a very simple calculation but as Viking said you will need a CORGI gas fitter involved, make sure that if it is for a commecial aplication, you ask for a fitter with a commercial CORGI ticket, a domestic fitter wont be able to help you. If you phone CORGI direct, then they can advise you of all the fitters who can help you in the area...www.trustcorgi.com/consumers.htmx

Lc_shi
12-03-2007, 01:48 AM
If there's no laws against using underground water. It's a very cost-saving way than others. Ground loop need more initial cost and lower efficiency than water loop.

Andy
12-03-2007, 10:55 PM
If there's no laws against using underground water. It's a very cost-saving way than others. Ground loop need more initial cost and lower efficiency than water loop.

Hi Lc_shi:)

I was considering Geothermal for a house I am building.

The ground loops were more cost effective as the ground water requires bore holes which are expensive to drill.

Kind Regards Andy:)

Rob S
18-03-2007, 05:02 AM
There are also the DX geothermal heatpumps too

The Viking
18-03-2007, 09:40 AM
There are also the DX geothermal heatpumps too

Yes, I built a couple of them myself in the past

BUT it is bad practice, we should all be environmentally friendly nowadays hence no gas in the ground. At least not on this side of the pond......
:cool:

bitwobbly
19-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys, new on here, please be gentle:D

I work for, and in fact started Ice Energy Heat Pumps, we are now the largest supplier of ground source heat pumps in the uk domestic market. This year probably 1200 sales:eek:

Please don't think i've joined here to plug the company, but I will be very happy to answer any questions, this can be a very misunderstood subject!
Seems that I'm not allowed to post a link yet, try googling Iceenergy

Dave

Lc_shi
20-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Welcome Dave
It's great to have an experienced guy like you:)

regards
LC

davej
21-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Robs,
Is right Dx ground source are outhere too, if space for the slinky is problem you can get a 4ton DX gshp loops roughly on the size of a car parking space.

expat
25-09-2007, 08:51 PM
One of the press posts on the iceengy site said this:

"The method used in Harrogate provides 100 percent energy for each property. Without the need for a back up power supply"

Are these guys going down 1000m or something:rolleyes:

davej
26-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Expat,
no only 30m, on our 4ton unit we would drill 4 30m loops, although it appears that most of the heat exchange is in the last 10m or so. there is a test at the moment on a single 100m loop.

AYIBIBIO
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I am building a new house and have decided to install a geothermal heat pump. I am undecided on the heat source, a ground loop system or a pump and dump system. I am aware of pros and cons to each system, but ultimately the installation costs are comparable. Could someone help me make a decision.

Hi, I will say go with the ground loop with a circulation pump. I will also advice if you can install an oversize loop (that is if you have enough land) this will not hurt the system, but will give you more heat source and higher liquid temperatures. If possible, go deeper that the normal four to five feet that is recomended.
DANNY

AYIBIBIO
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys, new on here, please be gentle:D

I work for, and in fact started Ice Energy Heat Pumps, we are now the largest supplier of ground source heat pumps in the uk domestic market. This year probably 1200 sales:eek:

Please don't think i've joined here to plug the company, but I will be very happy to answer any questions, this can be a very misunderstood subject!
Seems that I'm not allowed to post a link yet, try googling Iceenergy

Dave

Hi Dave, nice to meet you. We need people like you who know more practical on geos. I will soon start bombarding you with questions. Till then its wellcome.