PDA

View Full Version : Advance Turbo set 90 problems

Latte
09-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Hi all,

A few of us down this way are having problems with our Advanced Engineering Turbo 90 torch sets running the standard maxigas and oxygen. The problem is the flame keeps going out because an oil type liquid is coming out of the lines and knocking out the flame. I assume the liquid is Liquid Maxigas. The bottles are stored in the vans in an upright position, seems to happen with both full and 1/2 used bottles. New nozzles fittind and everthing tight. E-mails AE and doesnt ring any bells up there. Has anyone else had a similar problem

regards

Raymond

LRAC
09-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

A few of us down this way are having problems with our Advanced Engineering Turbo 90 torch sets running the standard maxigas and oxygen. The problem is the flame keeps going out because an oil type liquid is coming out of the lines and knocking out the flame. I assume the liquid is Liquid Maxigas. The bottles are stored in the vans in an upright position, seems to happen with both full and 1/2 used bottles. New nozzles fittind and everthing tight. E-mails AE and doesnt ring any bells up there. Has anyone else had a similar problem
regards
Raymond

Yep had the same problem on 1 set tried everything to clear the spitting at the nozzle and like you say it was some sort of liquid. Took the whole set back too the wholesalers and got a replacement set.

I did ask for a report on what was causing it but as usual i think they just skipped it. I'm sure the gas bottle was contaminated?

Kind regards
Lrac

weeksy
09-03-2007, 12:24 PM
I had a similar issue, but resolved it by fitting a new nozzle?

Does the "oil type liquid" evaporate, burn or remain as liquid?

LRAC
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
The substance coming out of our sets remained liquid.
Regards
Lrac

Latte
11-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi All,

I Have had a couple of e-mails from the guys at Advanced Engineering saying they have never come accross this problem before. Now there are 3 engineers on the company i work for all withing a 60 mile radius of each other all complaining of the same fault. I am just trying to find out if its a common problem or perhaps just a faulty batch of gas. As LRAC says it comes out like an oil drops on the floor and just stays there (Doesnt evaperate). I am trying to get as much info on problem so i can advise AE accordingly.

Any help would be appreciated

regards

Raymond

Birds
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi

This is not a new problem. I had this happen a few years ago . The supplier was aware and had similar reports but didn,t know why. I stopped using it and sold it on Ebay. I now use a double barrel turbo torch with mapp gas for small pipes up to 5/8 no problems.

Electrocoolman
12-03-2007, 01:16 AM
What 'brand' of maxigas is it.?...I think several different brands will fit the turbo 90....

Latte
12-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Its OxyTurbo Maxygas as supplied bu NRS which i think is the standard one that is supplied from AE.

Is there another one with the same connections you can use then as at the moment we all have trubo 90 sets which we cant use. Ebay might be an option. If there is can you let me know where to get them from
Regards
Raymond

Electrocoolman
12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
I think that the rothenburger multi gas cylinder might also fit but don't hold me to it.....I was looking at different supply sources and it 'looked' compatable.

Has anyone tried refilling the O2 cylinders via a regulator and adapter?

Ecm

djbe
13-03-2007, 10:22 PM
And I thought I was the only one getting this problem!

I put it down to the cold weather over the winter, but tried again last week, got it lit eventually but very difficult.

I got ours from a firm called CWB who had a stand at the RAC show. They claimed not to have had a problem when I asked them.

Would be interested to know the answer.

Latte
13-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Advanced Engineering have asked me to send a couple of bottle back to them to see if they get the same problem. I am however glad that other people are having the same problem as it backs up my case when i go back to them.

Will let you know if i hear of anything.

Regards

Raymond

djbe
15-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I spoke with the guy from CWB today and he had a look at this thread while I was on the phone to him.

The set he supplies is identical to the AE one.

Apparently he has a meeting with the supplier next week so is going try to find out what the problem is.

I'll update if I find anything out.

Latte
16-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Just to give you an update, i have today recieved an e-mail from Advanced Engineering, and to their credit they have replied quite quickly. The e-mail reads:-

Dear Sir,
i have been discussing youre concerns with our factory and they believe that the oily liquid that you have experienced is liquid Acetone.
The Acetone would be in the liquid phase at the bottom of the cylinder, and the vapour phase towards the the top of the cylinder, from where it is removed, via the valve, for onward transmission to the welding head.
From youre previous e-mail i understand that the cylinders are always kept upright (With the valve at the top) and as such it is not possible to draw liquid Acetone from the bottom of the cylinder.
An alternative may be that the Acetone is condensing within the lines when the set is being stored withing the back of a cold van at night.
i hope the above is of use to you
I look forward to investigating this further on receipt of your cyclinders

Yours

Etc

maybe this rings true with you all

Regards

Raymond

zebedee321
03-04-2007, 07:57 PM
hi guys, i do not know the answer however i do have the solution, i use a scorpion kit as puchased in hrp and also suffered the same problem as with the maxi set prior to this. the solution is simple all you have to do is switch the gas off at the bottle and leave the torch valve open thus clearing the line. i have now not had any problems for over 2 years. many thanks john