PDA

View Full Version : Can dissembling a Freezer be Dangerous?

gagrandy
08-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi. I am looking to create my own dehumidifier for my hunting blind. I dont want any compresor running because that would be too loud. So I plan to use the coils out of my grandma's old chest freezer. I dont really know how old it is. its been there for at least 12 years that I can remember. The pump went out on it, that is all I know about it.

I want to use a bunch of the coils on the ground with snow on them to cool the water running through them. Then by creating a siphon it will run in to the top of the deer blind and into some coils in there. Some thing like that anyway.

What I need to know is where the coils are and if it is dangerous to just hack in to them. I looked into the acsess panel and just seen the compressor with some coppper lines runing to differnt areas of the freezer. I dont feel like blowing something up from removing the coils. Please help. Thanks

adrian m
08-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Dont do it they are under pressure and if you cut into them you will probaly get covered in oil and refrigerant ask a local fridgi to degas and reclaim the refrigerant then hack away to your hearts content

Argus
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM

As the previous reply, but these systems used to run on CFCs, R12 etc.

Check out the EPA laws in your country and see if the penalties are worth it.

Gary
08-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I want to use a bunch of the coils on the ground with snow on them to cool the water running through them. Then by creating a siphon it will run in to the top of the deer blind and into some coils in there. Some thing like that anyway.

Sorry, but that isn't going to dehumidify anything. We dehumidify by cooling the air below its dewpoint, which causes moisture to drop out, and then raising it back up to room temperature. Mother nature has already cooled the air below dewpoint. That's why there is snow. Now all you need to do is raise it back up to room temperature. Try heating the air in your blind. You may find that you need a humidifier, not a dehumidifier.

gagrandy
08-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I do heat my deer blind to 75 - 80 degrees. There is a huge moisture problem on our window. A fan we installed helps but the water running through the coils will bring them to under the dew point and I will drain it away. I am aware of the fact that this will only work when our blind is heated, which is when I am in it.

monkey spanners
08-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Go and buy some radiators from your local diy/home depot store and some pipe and plumb them together as heatexchangers. Stick some antifreeze in the water if the temperature drops below freezing.

chillin out
08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I do heat my deer blind to 75 - 80 degrees. There is a huge moisture problem on our window.
You need to stick a heater on the window itself. I take it that it's double glazed?

Shame you weren't a fridgey guy because you could have used an old door off a freezer as a window. They have a heater built into them.

Chillin:) :)

Gary
08-03-2007, 09:25 PM
I do heat my deer blind to 75 - 80 degrees. There is a huge moisture problem on our window. A fan we installed helps but the water running through the coils will bring them to under the dew point and I will drain it away. I am aware of the fact that this will only work when our blind is heated, which is when I am in it.

You built the blind airtight? Cold air is dry air. Bring in outside air, heat it, blow it at the window.

BTW, I don't know where you are in Michigan, but my son lives in Mt. Pleasant, where it is currently 30F outside and the dewpoint is... 18F. Just heat it up and that air will be bone dry.

gagrandy
08-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Hunting season is in the fall. And for some reason, either the air itself or our beath makes it very moist. I live very near Mt. Pleasant. Our window is made of one sheet of thin, im not sure how thin, it fits in a saw blade width, plexyglass. when you say radiator please explain.

monkey spanners
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
The type of radiator i was thinking of is as you would find in a domestic wet heating system in the uk. basically two plates of steel pressed to form channels for the hot water to flow through and welded together. As Chillin out says why not try a double glazzed window.