PDA

View Full Version : brandt apollo, freezer door has fallen off !

timmy toad
07-03-2007, 07:52 PM
hi all, the freezer door hinge pin has dropped off into the plastic shroud under the door, how can i get this plastic shroud off without destroying the shroud ?, please.

tim

Brian_UK
07-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Timmy, I assume that you are talking about the plastic trim(shroud) at the bottom of the freezer.

The bit that fills the gap between the floor and the real bottom of the freezer??

If it is then normally there isn't anything behind there other than the floor. Can you move the freezer to get a look underneath?

The plastic bits normally have sticky out tongues that clip into asocket in the metal chassis. If you can look through any vents/gaps with a torch you may see them.

However we might be talking about two completely separate things here ;)

timmy toad
07-03-2007, 08:54 PM
thanks for that friend, you are on the right track, i guess you havent had first hand experience with this model yourself, but i am thinking along the same lines as yourself, like getting underneath it, i could perhaps put some blocks of wood underneath it to get a look at the underside, otherwise i will have to empty it completly and turn it on it's side, which is probably not recomended at all because of the the coolant stuff (whatever it is called) !

tim

Brian_UK
07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
You can turn them on their side but when you stand it upright again give it a few hours to settle before you restart it.

If there are more than one of you then try pulling it away from the wall so that one can tilt it over and the other can grovel around on the floor with a bit of wood and a torch to drag all the fluff, dust and hinge pins from underneath.

timmy toad
07-03-2007, 09:21 PM
cheers buddy, it was the laying it over bit i was trying to fight shy of, i thought there was a problem with the coolant stuff, so a couple of hours before restarting, thats gr8, thanks Brian.

tim

Brian_UK
07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
That's only if you lay it down on the floor, otherwise not too much to worry about.

The couple of hours is just to let all the oil in the system settle back to the bottom again...

timmy toad
08-03-2007, 08:00 AM
thanks Brian, a great help.

tim

Paulajayne
08-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi

Torch and mirror - shine the torch at the mirror and move it to see the area you want.

Paula

timmy toad
08-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi

Torch and mirror - shine the torch at the mirror and move it to see the area you want.

Paula

Gr8 stuff, it takes a female to come up with ideas like that, thanks a lot, PaulaJayne.

tim

Brian_UK
08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Aw shucks, I'd thought of that but didn't think that you had clearance to see through or around the base:(

Well done Paula;)

timmy toad
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Actually i will have to put some blocks of wood underneath it, but with the mirror idea i would only need to lift it up say 4 inches instead of 12 !!!!!!.

tim

Brian_UK
08-03-2007, 11:17 PM
We could move forward onto hoping that the part is not full stainless then you could use a magnet on a stick.....

timmy toad
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Happy Ending, firstly i removed all the rubbish that had accumilated on the top, very dusty as well, and lo and behold i found the manual, it goes into a lot of detail on how to change the doors from left hand hinged to right hand hinged and vice versa, so it showed a picture if the two little plastic clips i had to release to get the shroud off ....

so i leaned it over one way and got a piece of four by four under it, leaned it the other way and got another four by four under the other side, off with the shroud and i could easily see that it was simply the hinge pin had come unscrewed from the bottom hinge bracket, hooray.

tim

Brian_UK
10-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Well done Tim, glad to hear that the problem is resolved and thanks for letting us know - not everyone does ;)

timmy toad
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
No problem buddy, the missus had nearly gone out and got another bloody fridge/freezer, LOL.

tim

Brian_UK
10-03-2007, 11:55 PM
You'll have to go and get some paint now so that those two pieces of 4 x 4 can be painted to match the rest of the kitchen :)

timmy toad
11-03-2007, 08:12 AM
You'll have to go and get some paint now so that those two pieces of 4 x 4 can be painted to match the rest of the kitchen :)

ROFL, I like that idea Brian, but i did remove them after successful completion of the task IT WAS A BIT WOBBLY afterall !. and a friend is having them for firewood. recycling gone mad eh, i brought 6 bits home from work all told.

tim