PDA

View Full Version : Norton 360

Argus
06-03-2007, 10:40 AM

This new package has just come out the other day and there are conflicting reviews floating around.

Perhaps it's too early to hear users' real experiences, but what's the overall opinion of it compared to, say, Internet Security 2007?

I'm considering it as it comes with a 3 machine licence.
Any pointers would be most welcome

frank
06-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of Norton as it's caused various problems with some of my computers in the past. Even when you delete it, it still appears in the Registry - difficult to get rid of.

Also, it has been mentioned more than once on the Microsoft support site as the cause of several conflicts with other software.

I like the Zone Alarm and AVG software - free or paid for versions

chillin out
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I am also not a fan of Norton, it is very slow and uses up far too many resources.

I used to use Kespersky but now use NOD32.
Scan time is very quick and doesn't slow PC.

Chillin:) :)

US Iceman
06-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I have been using NOD32 for almost the last year + Spybot. I hide behind two routers in series and that is all I do (besides the ordinary precautions).

Seems to work quite well, so far.:rolleyes:

I had some earlier problems with Norton before I switched to NOD32. Since then the PC has been stable and well behaved.

Now NOD32 does not have all of the "optimization toys" that Norton has but that has not seemed to hurt performance or reliability either. Just the usual defrag's, etc.

I think NOD32 allows multiple licenses at reasonable cost Argus. You might want to check them out.

Brian_UK
07-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Stopped using Norton year before last.

Neighbour down the road installed Norton 2 weeks ago, still hasn't been able to access the internet, he can do email but nothing more.

He can't even get into Norton to find out why.

But hey, what the heck... go ahead Argus, you be brave for the rest of us ;) :)

Argus
07-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Thanks, gents, one and all.
I seem to have gathered a full house of Mods so far!

I know that Norton has mixed reception, but your opinions so far are pretty much unanimous.

To be fair to Norton, I have been using versions of their Internet Security for several years now with no problems, no perceived slowing of resources and except for one occasion when it wasn't enabled, no viruses.

At present I’m using Internet security 2006, but the updates need renewing in a couple of weeks and the obvious contender was going to be an upgrade to 2007.

Back to the drawing board……….!

Brian_UK
07-03-2007, 08:37 PM
The other thing that bugged me about renewing with Norton was having to pay the higher VAT rate for Ireland as against the UK, most unfair I thought....

chillin out
08-03-2007, 12:36 AM
To be fair to Norton, I have been using versions of their Internet Security for several years now with no problems, no perceived slowing of resources and except for one occasion when it wasn't enabled, no viruses.
Thats because you maybe don't know any better.(?)

I used Kaspersky for a long time and found no problem with it. When I reinstalled my pc (for the millionth time....lol) I installed NOD32, and what a difference it made. I think it must have shaved off about 10 seconds in boot time, plus the running of the pc is a lot faster. (which didn't have much to do with the reinstall of the pc because I had to have Kaspersky on for a day untill I got NOD32.)

Chillin:) :)

slingblade
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
hi chaps,

I have used norton for years, and found it quite good. Problems with slowness and resource hogging to me are the signs of a slow pc in the first place.
do a google on for microdirect and purchase a stick (or 2) of 512 mb ddr 3200 about £18 + the vodka.
this allows you to also buy the systembuilder oem edition of nis 2007 for £19 + v.
2007 + memory upgrade for roughly the same price as nis 2007 at pc world.;)