PDA

View Full Version : Custom Refrigeration Cabinets

HETH
27-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I want to get some perspex cabinets made which would require refrigerating. The temperature can fluctuate a bit but would need to stay around 10-15 degrees.

Having looked on the internet, I'm wondering whether I'm making this hardwork by looking at the refrigeration and cabinet separately.

The cabinet needs to be lightweight and ideally dissemble or fold to flatpack.

Does anyone know a company that would look at this kind of project? or are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of? I suspect the refrigeration side of this is going to be the tricky part that will bite me unexpectedly :eek:

Cheers

Heather

taz24
27-02-2007, 03:43 PM

are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of? I suspect the refrigeration side of this is going to be the tricky part that will bite me unexpectedly :eek:

Cheers

Heather

In principle the case is possible.

Do you want a case made totaly from perspex?
Is it for demonstration reasons?
I can think of two main reasons that could cause you issues.
One is condensation. The temp differance would cause the case to produce condensation.
The other is structual strength, plastic when cold can be inflexable and is quite heavy.

Not much help but my two peneth worth.
Give more details and maybe somone can come up with a solution.

Cheers taz.

HETH
27-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I guess it doesn't need to be completely perspex....

It's to hold beer barrels. The temperature needs to stay just right but people need to be able to see that there's no nasty gases or pipes happening inside the box.

Maybe perspex is the wrong material

taz24
27-02-2007, 04:04 PM
The temperature needs to stay just right but people need to be able to see that there's no nasty gases or pipes happening inside the box.

Maybe perspex is the wrong material

I would suggest that you think about a well case that has normal insulated walls to both sides and rear. The front can then be two ply glass or plastic.
With the open top and clear front you would be able to see all-round the casks and the refrigeration effect could be done on the rear wall.
It would be easy to make but very bespoke in design.

There are mass produced display cases that are part glazed so the visual thing would work and they are capable of reaching the temps you require.

Cheers taz.

taz.

taz24
27-02-2007, 04:07 PM
The temperature needs to stay just right but people need to be able to see that there's no nasty gases or pipes happening inside the box.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:UOaLQQqEGL_KnM:http://www.commappl.com/Delfield/549-cr.gif (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.commappl.com/Delfield/549-cr.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.commappl.com/delfield.htm&h=197&w=240&sz=15&hl=en&start=22&tbnid=UOaLQQqEGL_KnM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bglass%2Bdisplay%2Bfridge.%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26sa%3DN)

Somthing like this would do?
taz.

HETH
27-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Yep. it would need an opening at the front for the tap...
but generally, yes.

I need to talk to someone who can make this kind of thing... anyone spring to mind? or any particular word to search for on business directories? I'd like to keep it in Devon if I can so that I can discuss face to face

Thanks

H

taz24
27-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I'd like to keep it in Devon if I can so that I can discuss face to face

Thanks

H

I can't help with that one unfortunately.
Good hunting.
taz.

taz24
27-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I'd like to keep it in Devon if I can so that I can discuss face to face

Thanks

H

Thinking about it a bit more.
If it is purely a demonstration thing to show the beer off then you could stand it under an ice flaker and alow it to produce flaked ice that cascades over the cask .

Or you could have a small tank of water that the cask sits on and the water that is refrigerated can be sprayed over the cask.
The visual look is what you are after I assume?

taz.

HETH
27-02-2007, 04:32 PM
It's not just visual. It needs to keep the beer cool to within a specific range of temperature.

But i am thinking that the cabinet is going to be costly, difficult to move and take up too much space.

I need to think about this from a different direction...

taz24
27-02-2007, 04:40 PM
It's not just visual. It needs to keep the beer cool to within a specific range of temperature.

But i am thinking that the cabinet is going to be costly, difficult to move and take up too much space.

I need to think about this from a different direction...

The contents must be chilled before putting in the display fridge. Then the temp just needs to be maintained.
The mantenance of the temp would be easy. Its the construction and design that you need to think about.
How many barrels?
A cold barrel stood in chiled water with chiled water sprayed over it would easily maintain the tempin all but the hotest of environments.
Iced water flaked of the cask would be very visual and again would maintain the temp well.
What time period are you looking at.
1 hour,
1 day
1 week
The longer the running time then the larger the system will be.

It is very doable but you need do need to sit with somone and bash out a few figures.

taz.