PDA

View Full Version : What sort of system for a dynocell??

matt p
26-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone i looking for some advice if thats
possible;) .

My engine tuner in the uk has asked me what system he would need to put in his Dynocell that he is building.

In this cell it will have two rolling roads and will be an
aproxomate size of 15m2 and 3 meters high.

He asked for supply and extract fans at the front and rear, also if it is possible to maintain a temprature of
no more than twenty degrees c.

Im still in first year at college doing my NVQ2 :rolleyes: , and what he has asked me for is a little over my
head:p

Any help would be great and ill try and answer any questionsa that you have.

Thanks in advance

Matt

US Iceman
26-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Engine test cells can be quite involved. You have fresh air coming into the room for combustion in the engine. This air needs to be conditioned to some dry bulb and wet bulb temperature. This would be based on some set of required operating conditions.

You have heat coming off of the engine (and radiator, if it is installed on the engine test cart and not remote outside of the test cell). The dyno will also generate some heat which needs adds to the cooling load.

Is the test cell to be used only for load testing, cold start, emissions, or durability testing?

matt p
26-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi there thanks for the reply, it will be mainly used for load testing as he will be fitting engine upgrades/ aftermarket management etc and then testing them so they work properly.

The emmissions will be monitored as he sets the cars up with a lamda probe placed in the exhaust.

Can i ask what you mean by dry and wet bulb temperatures?

US Iceman
26-02-2007, 09:05 PM
These are temperatures from weather data in the ambient air. You can find them in the local weather forecast.

Hopefully the engine exhaust will be piped outdoors external to the test cell.

This type of project is more complicated than a simple exhaust and intake fan.;)

I have been involved in certain apsects of this before (twice) and they are certainly not a simple system.

matt p
26-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I see what you mean now regarding the temperature's.

Do you have any pictures or details of units?, sorry
for the questions im off to an a/c and fridge show at
the N.E.C in birmingham on wednesday and thought it
would be good to see what would be required in this
instance.

Im not going to be doing the install as im only confident with spilt systems at the moment.

He asked me as i told him this is what im studying at
college for the next couple of years.

Also thought if i help him out i might finally get my car finshed:D

Thanks again

matt

Brian_UK
26-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi Matt

Just some Google info to frighten you ;)
http://www.aei-tech.com/services/engine_dyno_testing.html

and
http://www.noisebarriers.com/thermalsprayrooms/components-ventilation.php

also
http://www.hazardousmaterialbuildings.com/dynamometer_rooms.html

I think that you will see that it is not that simple. There are alot of variables involved and as in most things a good design engineer is required.

If you design it and it goes wrong guess who gets it in the ear; if someone else designs it and it doesn't perform then as long as you have commissioned it to his specification then you are absolved of all blame.

Think carefully but don't stop searching for information and answers, it's the only way to learn.