PDA

View Full Version : drains

Temprite
23-02-2007, 11:31 AM
G'day all.

I read on this forum sometime in the past about using the liquid line of a freezer wrapped around the drain to act as a drain heater.

Has anyone tried this? If so was it succesful?

nh3wizard
23-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I have seen ammonia hot gas line line run next to the condensate drains to keep them from freezing, but not liquid lines

Quality
23-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Probably would but, wouldn`t it be a great deal easier to use a self regulating heater tape

Dan
24-02-2007, 12:32 AM
We tried it when it was specified by one of the project managers for a regional chain in Florida. It worked in supermarket freezer applications. We ran a bead of solder along the lines and wrapped them with normal insulation.

One could argue that it's the best way to achieve dual purpose of subcooling the liquid line and achieving drainage without using electricity, but I think using heat tape is more straight forward and simpler from a first cost point of view. Also, any time you solder a length of refrigeration copper to another copper line you have a small risk of developing leaks resulting from expansion and contraction.

taz24
24-02-2007, 02:35 PM
G'day all.

I read on this forum sometime in the past about using the liquid line of a freezer wrapped around the drain to act as a drain heater.

Has anyone tried this? If so was it succesful?

I've seen situations where the drains have been squashed, bashed, flatened, damaged and ripped completly off the wall.

I've seen more ways for the staff using the coldroom to damage and abuse the drain pipe.
The last thing I would want to do is give them somthing containing HIGH PRESSURE LIQUID to damage and treat with the same disrespect.

You may feel that I am a bit negative but for 25 years I have been trying to keep on top of the stupid and non sensical things these people do to fridges.

Its almost like a game.
We develop new ways to protect systems and they find new ways to damage them.

Brass Monkey
24-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi

In the majority of my past commercial freezer rooms we would run the liquid line in the drain line by entering a 90 degree elbow with an inspection cap. Drill a hole in the cap and then silicon up. liquid line exits thru the drain outlet on the pan straight up to the tx valve. Drain pipe is insulated as per usual. You never have to worry about them again.

Peter

Jus1
23-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Nothing more easier than a nice NORMAL 240volt heater tape!

praveen
24-03-2008, 12:26 PM
it would decrease subcooling effect.

philfridge
24-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Have not heard this one before sounds like a waste of time and effort to me.Would not think the heat generated to be enough to keep a freezer drain clear.

Samarjit Sen
24-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I feel that there has been some mistake. A liquid line for a ***** plant would be having a temperature of say 32 to 34 oC. In case the drain pipes require heating, that means the Evaporative Temperature is below - 5 oC. I feel it would not be possible to melt the ice and drain the water.

What we use are heat tracers or tapes depending on the requirement. These are either inserted into the drain pipes or are taped round the pipes.

Chunk
24-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi

I have tried this method out before on a double coldstore where i ran the liquid from the chiller through the freezer drains.

The original idea was not as a way to keep the drains clear but a way of subcooling the liquid for the chiller.

The units were situated within a building with no ventilation and were suffering from high pressure faults and no way of resituating.

I must admit that the drains for the freezer did stay clear as long as the chiller was left in operation but for most applications i would stump for drain heater tapes as less work involved.