PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning suction strainers.

Stuart Ginbey
07-05-2002, 10:29 PM
I am about to do a top end overhall on an old York compresor and figured I had better check the suction strainers while I was at it.Physically the strainers are sound, but they do require a clean and I was just wondering what we should be using to clean them these days.Obviously R11 is out of the question, so I figured some sort of white spirit might be appropriate, seeing it will dry out completely.Am I on the right track here or is there a special cleaning agent that we shoud be using.
Cheers in advance for any feedback,
Stuart.:confused:

zolar1
08-05-2002, 03:41 AM
Gasoline and a match? LOL
How about Kerosene then your white spirit.

Starting Fluid (ether) might work too

Mike Hopkins
12-05-2002, 03:10 AM
I prefer pharmaceutical grade acetone, just be sure to put out your smoke before cleaning! I once knew a man that threw a
coffee cup of acetone in to a woodstove, followed by a match, he didn't need a haircut for a while!
Mike Hopkins

Andy
12-05-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi, I use de-greaser, the type used by car mechanics. This is water solvent, clean the parts in it then rinse clean with copious amounts of hot water, the water being hot evaporates and leaves a nice clean dry job.
Regards. Andy.

maco
02-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Sturat, I actually work for York and we find the best thing for cleaning the suction strainer is a cleaning agent called JEAZER. Just spray some of it on your strainer then wipe it clean with a cloth. If its really dirty then soak the whole strainer in a bucket or basin of jeazer. Should bring it up as new
Regards Maco

iceman007
02-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Stuart,

I used to work for a company a little while ago, and all we used was Jebsol- it's a degreaser, but quite potent for this type of application, make sure to use plenty of hot water to rinse off.

James

richnor
26-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Use the degreaser, you shouldn't rinse it with water unless you get it completely dry or evacuate the system well.