PDA

View Full Version : Daikin VRV

Jase
20-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I am due to replace an inverter compressor relatively soon on VRV model no: RSXY8GV1.
I have received the replacement and also an oil kit.
The oil kit comprises of 3 tins of oil, some sort of tank, a funnel with a small bore hose attached and a 1/4" SAE fitting.
What would be the procedure for carrying out the replacement?
Fit compressor and then add oil?
What is the procedure for adding oil? Especially with all these contraptions!!:confused:

Jase:D

The Viking
20-02-2007, 10:18 PM
The unit has 2 compressors, that kit is to change the oil in the other compressor.

After you disconnected the faulty compressor:
1. connect the vaccpump to the tank provided.
2. suck out as much oil as possible from the 2nd compressor (through the oil equalisation port with the interconnecting pipe removed)
3. charge the 2nd compressor with the required amount of fresh oil (you might get more than this out, or even less, but remember the new compressor you are fitting is pre-charged with the correct amount for one compressor).

Then just proceed as usual with installing the new compressor, vacc, re-commisioning and so on.

stuartwking
20-02-2007, 11:06 PM
god! a G!, thats a old one eah jase,Not replaced one but also have one away to get replaced, should think its not far differant from a k,is it a local one?

puddleboy3
21-02-2007, 08:56 AM
The unit has 2 compressors, that kit is to change the oil in the other compressor.

After you disconnected the faulty compressor:
1. connect the vaccpump to the tank provided.
2. suck out as much oil as possible from the 2nd compressor (through the oil equalisation port with the interconnecting pipe removed)
3. charge the 2nd compressor with the required amount of fresh oil (you might get more than this out, or even less, but remember the new compressor you are fitting is pre-charged with the correct amount for one compressor).

Then just proceed as usual with installing the new compressor, vacc, re-commisioning and so on.

Correct procedure for getting oil out and back in but the new compressor needs to have oil added to it. If you put it in and run it without oil which I have seen done! Lets just say it wont last long!!

On RSEY 3 pipe vrv condensing units with reciprocating compressors when a compressor is changed some additional oil must be added to the system

The effected condensing units are RSEY 8 & 10 G and K7 units
NOT KJ, and KA units

These can be identified easily as the reciprocating compressors are much larger than scrolls, they are bolted into the units with 19mm bolts and the oil equalisation lines are ½” in diameter with a flange fitting at each end.
When the oil equalisation line is removed a couple of litres of oil will leak out of the compressors. The New compressor does not come fully charged with oil
Here is the calculation to work out the additional oil charge
Total system oil charge = 5.2 Litres
The compressors hold 2 litres with the oil equalisation line removed. New compressors only have 1.8 litres of oil in them to avoid spillage
Additional oil charge =Total oil charge (5.2L) - total left in existing good compressor (2.0L)- oil in new compressor (1.8L)
So when changing 1 compressor 1.4 Litres of oil MUST be added
This oil can be sucked into the compressors during vaccing by using the oil filling port on the oil equalisation line. Be careful as there is no Schrader in this port
If the oil in the system is contaminated the old oil must be sucked from the good compressor. This is best achieved using a siphon tube
In this case the additional oil charge will need to be 3.4 Litres Oil type Suniso 3GSD

Hope this helps jase

puddleboy3
21-02-2007, 08:06 PM
I know for sure that my last post applys to 3 pipe but I cant see much difference with the 2 pipe, but hey Ive been wrong before.

Jase
21-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for replies!
I have been told that the compressor(s) on G series units are delivered with no oil charge so I am a little apprehensive on carrying out the comp change until I have spoken with Daikin. The inverter is still operational, but slightly noisy- this is the reason for replacement.
Would I be correct in assuming that an oil recovery cycle will have to be performed on the system prior to replacement?

Regards
Jase

puddleboy3
21-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Jase as far as I am aware you can not force the unit in to oil recovery. The only thing you could do to get as much oil as possible back to the outdoor unit is to pump it down. Ive spoke to Daikin and they told me that if it is the old recip compressors then oil must be added. But I would get this comfirmed yourself, good luck on the technical helpline.

Jase
22-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Cheers Pud!:)
I will try and call the tech helpline but since Macqueens are no longer it causes a bit of hassle;never know who you are talking to!

Jase

Obi Wan
22-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Jase as far as I am aware you can not force the unit in to oil recovery. The only thing you could do to get as much oil as possible back to the outdoor unit is to pump it down. Ive spoke to Daikin and they told me that if it is the old recip compressors then oil must be added. But I would get this comfirmed yourself, good luck on the technical helpline.

Puddleboy3 you know more about the Daikin kit then meets the eye. Attached is a way to force the G series outdoor units into oil return. Don’t try this on any other series as it may do unhealthy things to the PCBs.
Though this info may come in handy.;)

puddleboy3
23-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Cheers Pud!:)
I will try and call the tech helpline but since Macqueens are no longer it causes a bit of hassle;never know who you are talking to!

Jase

Ah the good old days when you could phone the helpline and get to speak to someone who actually had a bit of a clue.

puddleboy3
23-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Puddleboy3 you know more about the Daikin kit then meets the eye. Attached is a way to force the G series outdoor units into oil return. Don’t try this on any other series as it may do unhealthy things to the PCBs.
Though this info may come in handy.;)

Everydays a school day Obi !!

Jase
07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Okay dokay!
I have spoken to Daikin and have been informed that the compressors in the G series units hold 1.6L each.
Replacement compressors are delivered with half charge of oil. I have to add another 800ml of oil to the compressor. So this is why I have the oil kit.
The tank which I have mentioned in first post is for old oil and not used for oil filling process.

Jase

stuartwking
07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi Jase,just completed changing a G series inv comp, I also checked with Daikin and got told the same,Got told not to waste my time replacing oil in other comp if its not burnt out.:rolleyes: