PDA

View Full Version : ? for herefishy

zolar1
04-05-2002, 07:39 AM
I tried sending you a message but your mailbox(?) was full.

I was thinking about relocating to Texas - probably near the Dallas/Ft Worth area or just outside of those areas.

I mostly do small refrigeration repairs - recharges of domestic A/C, refrigerators, reach in coolers, walk in coolers, systems with usually less than 5 lbs refrigerant. I do have a universal refrigerant license.

Could you tell me what information I would need for me to have my business there? IE rents for home & business, taxes, applicable laws, licensing fees, permits, availability of work, perhaps costs needed for re-startup?

I need a warmer climate due to my bad back, and longer summers to make more money. The wife has a Ferrari diet and I'm on a Geo Metro budget! LOL

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Zolar

Abe
04-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Turn up at his door with a toolbox in your hand and say........

Give me a job!!!

You just the type of guy he goes for.

Lol

herefishy
06-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Zolar...

Message received.... I'll fill you in.

Right now, I gotta scoot, though. Just dropped in to see what was goin' on. :)

I'll check into my mailbox thingy.:D

herefishy
07-05-2002, 03:45 PM
Zolar,

I guess first thing to look into is licensing.

You should contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation to see if your contractor's license in Ohio (if such licensing is required in your state, I don't know) is transferrable to Texas. If not, you would have to take the State Examination.

For work in the order that you describe(class B - less than 25 tons refrigerating capacity), a minimum General Liability insurance coverage of $500,000 is required to maintain licensing and conduct business in the state.

TDLR phone # is 1-800-803-9202

:)

zolar1
07-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Ohio only requires a General Contractor's License for new and retrofit installations. No unusual/unnecessary licensing is required for simple servicing.
I do have a RSES Universal Refrigerant license and an MACS automotive refrigerant license.

About the 'gimme a job' posting, sure, if he can afford to pay the insurance and my $50,000/year salary too.

(I might give him a break and start out at $40,000 for the first year)

herefishy
08-05-2002, 05:07 PM
LOL ! :D

Aiyub misquoted me. If you said, "Gimme' a yob", you'd be back out on the street!

The proper sentence would be, "I want to WORK". :)

Abe
08-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Herefish, you definately do not want a " yob" ( British colloquialiasm for a lout) But youre spot on, theres a miles difference between,

Give me work
and
I want to work

Zolar, excuse my infraction here with a bit of humour in an otherwise serious request by you for help with relocation

I wish you well in your quest Zolar

zolar1
09-05-2002, 07:10 AM
Contrary to popular belief (my past postings here) I DO have a sense of humour LOL

Herefishy might not be interested in someone such as myself. But that's OK. I can find another way if needed. No hard feelings.

I have a pregnant wife (5 months) to consider. Family is paramount and so is my quest to do right by them.

Thank you Aiyub for the lightheartness you posted. I did need a bit of spirit lifting right about now!

Zolar

herefishy
09-05-2002, 03:49 PM
Zolar,

Are you looking for a job?.... Or looking to be self-employed in the (Texas) market? :)

farfield
12-05-2002, 04:47 AM
Zolar the Texas Chamber of Commerce might have information to your liking. RE: Rent, cost of living etc.

If you are thinking of working I might be in need here in Oklahoma. Or another good conbtractor is always needed here anyway.
If I can help let me know.

zolar1
12-05-2002, 06:54 AM
Oklahoma might work too. Depending on how much work and at what salary, will determine if self employment would be the course of action.

Between my cr*ppy health and lack of experience/knowledge, I have a long uphill battle ahead of me.

But at least I show up and work when I have any.......

And yes, I want to work. My last 'job' the employer was nicknamed Pharo because he worked everyone and didn't pay them. He still owes me about $800.

But the wife has final say as to where and if we move. Unhappy wife = poor job performance and I can't afford that.

What's the going rate for entry level technicians in Oklahoma and Texas?

And more importantly, is there enough full time work to last all year long?

Abe
12-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Zolar,

I think your "avatar" will send the wrong perception of you from prospective employers or forum members!!!

Do I see a pig lolling about ???
I should mention a rather well endowed pig??

Change it to a bright sparky energetic one showing a worker with a spanner in one hand, ready for action!!!

Otherwise youll give the impression of an overfed slouch!! which Im sure youre not.

You said you had a sense of humour, Ive taken liberties here, no offence mate!!

Have a good day

Abe

zolar1
13-05-2002, 07:46 AM
LOLOL no offense taken.
That avatar is actually a dog, relaxing.
LOL
I'll change it when I get my puter fixed....kinds busy right now...sigh