PDA

View Full Version : promotion

mr cool
11-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi guys,
i am currently in the running for promotion to management!! never thought it would happen to me.
i was wandering if anyone had any advice for me. i have been an engineer for 9 years and a supervisor for 2 and have a good idea what goes on in the supermarket sector in the uk. i have v. little experiance of management and my I T skills are not the best as i am sure you can tell!!:) any stories/advice would be greatly appreciated as i am not too sure what to expect if and when i start. thank you, mr cool.

The Viking
11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Ask for a pay rise and stay on the tools.

Been there, got the T shirt and managed to escape.

frank
11-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Definition of Management:

1) You get all the grief from the blokes before it reaches the Directors

2) You get sent by the Directors to take all the grief from the Customers

:D :D

chillin out
11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Just don't forget this.....

i have been an engineer for 9 years
You have already been there and know what it's like, so don't try to upset the people you leave behind just to win some 'brownie' points with the big chiefs.

Chillin:) :)

LRAC
11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi guys,
i am currently in the running for promotion to management!! never thought it would happen to me.

Go for it,if you don't one of your mates will or even worse somebody from outside of the company.

Best of luck
Lrac

Abe
11-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I agree Go for it.............All the best
Youre the right age as well

As with everything, there is a learning curve.......
Try get into a part time Business Course at University

Not those courses at a local FE.........University Business School

The only advice I can give you is..........Be You, Be Honest, Be Sincere, Put in the hours, Be concientious, Be aspiring, learn from your elders, listen to your superiors....

I said " superiors.........Not one those guys who think they are Superior because they have a fancy title and are patronising and look down at others.....

Never stop learning........
Always lend a hand

Never expect others to do what you cant do yourself

Be humble
Be polite

Offer respect to ALL
Dont adopt a LOFTY attitude

Be modest
Maintain high values and integrity

Expect High Standards.......Maintain High standards
Leave NOTHING to chance

Dont assume a Goddamn thing!!!

lol

And youll be fine.......

All the best matey

:)

Lc_shi
13-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Abe is a great management consultant:).I think it's no problem for you to be a CEO or above:

US Iceman
13-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Dont assume a Goddamn thing!!!

That right there is the best advice I would reiterate.

I did my penance by working in middle management for several years. It was a lot of fun, learned a lot (what to do and not to do!), and also... manage from the front, don't hide!

However, never make the mistake that upper management has any clue what is going on. :D

Always communicate as effectively as you can. And, be a problem solver and take on the difficult tasks. You learn a lot, and this knowledge is yours to profit from later.

All of the things Abe mentioned are right on the money.

Management ability is not IT skills, it is all about people skills. Having worked in the field, you already have sufficient knowledge of those.

Go for it and good luck!

liamroys
13-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Abe is spot on, there comes a time when you have got to stop jumpin about on roofs and take a break. i got off the tools a year ago and haven't looked back, i'm now a buildings manager (caretaker)(I do take care)

as for the IT bit, you've managed to post a thread so you can do more than most management can already:D

treat people how you would expect to be treated and don't forget the grunts who dragged you through the trenches.

Good luck:cool: