PDA

View Full Version : refrigeration Quiz

Latte
09-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi All,

just been looking for my Refribase CD from RAC2005 but couldnt find it so went on their website at
www.Kotza-international.com/boutique/gb/index.html
Good Fridge quiz on there you could use for training purposes.
I wont tell you my score, as far as to say it was better than i thought it would be but not perfect :eek:

Regards

Raymond

chillin out
10-02-2007, 01:23 AM
I got 17/20

Made a couple of daft clicks cos I thought they were trick questions.

Chillin:) :)

adams?
10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
17 on the advanced, 16 on the BASIC! wish i hadnt bothered, back to school for me. also found out that i know jack about cooling towers, oh well!

Latte
10-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

Perhaps i have gone back to my roots and having an Essex boy moment but cant understand Q5 (Obviously i got this wrong)
Q5 The evaperating temp of a refrigerent will depend on the ambient temp.
Answer they are looking for is True - i put false :eek:

Surely the gas evaps at the same temp in the same way water evaps at 100 degrees c no matter what the ambient, although obviously this changes at altitude :confused:

Am i reading the question wrong or has my brain gone into meltdown :(

Regards

Raymond

Trisha
10-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I got 14 of the easy ones and didn't understand a word of the questions...:eek:
(not a fridge tech...just a primary school teacher!)

just went with a gut feeling and tried tor remember the science i learnt at school..... :cool:

I guess there was a 50 50 chnace of getting 10 correct (now that's probablity isn't it?) :confused:
lol :p

Have a good day! :) (and if you are able to asnswer my troubleshooting question pls do! It's just been posted) :D

chillin out
10-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi all,

Perhaps i have gone back to my roots and having an Essex boy moment but cant understand Q5 (Obviously i got this wrong)
Q5 The evaperating temp of a refrigerent will depend on the ambient temp.
Answer they are looking for is True - i put false :eek:

I put false as well for this question, but thinking about it the questionare is all about A/C. So there is no spare capacity, the units run flat out nearly all the time so if the ambient is high, then so will the evap temp.

This is not so much true with refrigeration as a whole though. If the ambient is high then the system just works harder to overcome the increase in suction pressure thus bringing the evap temp back down again.

Chillin:) :)

Latte
10-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks Chillin,

I am in good company then, I was starting to think i had got to go back to school :eek:

Regards

Raymond

NH3LVR
11-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Trisha;
Welcome to the Forum.
I did about as well as you on the quiz. After thirty years doing refrigeration work.
I almost always do Industrial work. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Perhaps a career change is in order for you?
Nice to see another Lady join the Forum.

ejacob
13-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi all,
I got 16
and I teach refrigeration.
May be I should destroy all evidence and start trying again.
Have a nice day.
Jacob

taz24
14-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi all,
I got 16
and I teach refrigeration.
May be I should destroy all evidence and start trying again.
Have a nice day.
Jacob

I got 16 and teach as well:D .
I disagreed with the wording on some of the questions though (or is that just me trying to justify myself:rolleyes: )

Cheers taz.

TXiceman
16-02-2007, 04:30 AM
On the beginners test, the wording is terrible. I did not do well on it so I moved to the advanced test and managed 19 of 20. I have 37 years in industrial refrigeration and have very little exposure to HVAC and commerical refrigeration.

I do teach some and feel that the beginners test is poorly constructed and it appears to aimed at HVAC and nothing else.

I don't think I would recommend the program to anyone.

Ken

Josip
16-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi,

On the beginners test, the wording is terrible. I did not do well on it so I moved to the advanced test and managed 19 of 20. I have 37 years in industrial refrigeration and have very little exposure to HVAC and commerical refrigeration.

I do teach some and feel that the beginners test is poorly constructed and it appears to aimed at HVAC and nothing else.

Ken

...and english is your mother tongue:confused: what I can say:mad::confused:

On advanced test got 17/20;) (with almost 25 years in industrial refrigeration, as beginner hardly 14/20:eek:

I don't think I would recommend the program to anyone.

Agree with you:D

Best regards, Josip :)

LRAC
16-02-2007, 06:17 PM
It's a friday afternoon why the hell did i start that test, i wish i knew about refrigeration so i could answer the questions.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'd have done better on questions about black holes than that, and all i know is black holes are BLACK

wont be buying that CD

Lrac

abdulazman
16-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi ya ppl :) :)

I do say, the test given are in fact base on merit.
Actually these test are more likely for the sales ppl.
Selling or promoting refrigeration or air conditioning equipment. :D
They need to know coz customer will definitely question them on the knowledge they possesed b4 they are being questioned on the equipment.:eek:
Everyone here has had experience from 30 to 40 years.
I started this profession back then in, 1978.
As the saying goes, '' You'll never stop learning and progressing. You'll only stop until, RIP ''. :rolleyes:

Good morning 2 ya all......

slingblade
17-02-2007, 01:18 PM
17/20 on the advanced. Genius.:confused:

What the hell is a "Dahlander type motor" ?

Any guesses anyone ?

Pooh
17-02-2007, 04:47 PM
If you think the questions are slightly dubious on the online quiz find somebody who has access to the full version, the questions in that are really strange. I use the Refridiag program for teaching fault finding, that is brilliant and makes the students really have to think about what they need to check and how often you can diagnose the fault without fitting gauges. I will have my laptop with me on the stand at the RAC if anybody fancies a try.

Ian

Josip
17-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi, Pooh :)

If you think the questions are slightly dubious on the online quiz find somebody who has access to the full version, the questions in that are really strange. I use the Refridiag program for teaching fault finding, that is brilliant and makes the students really have to think about what they need to check and how often you can diagnose the fault without fitting gauges. I will have my laptop with me on the stand at the RAC if anybody fancies a try.

Ian

Maybe.....:confused: ,

but in shop window you put your best things....regarding to shown I am not sure that inside is much better;)

Maybe I am not right.....

Best regards, Josip :)

Latte
17-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Well I Like this kind of test

Yes, The questions could be put better "is a cap tube just a length of small diameter pipe" well yes it is technically but it doesnt say it has to be the right diameter or length on the question.

I think it just a example of the type of questions that you could use when evaluating engineers knowledge or potential.

You wouldnt expect them to give away a perfect one free of charge would you

Regards

Raymond

Here is a challange then, Can someone come up with a test that makes sense and then post it on to see how we all do, or is there another one on line somewhere

Andy
17-02-2007, 05:59 PM
17/20 on the advanced. Genius.:confused:

Any guesses anyone ?

I got 14 and I knew that a dehlander is a two speed motor.

Boy do I feel thick:(

Kind Regards Andy:)

aawood1
17-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Andy not the only one all I got was 14 , But then all I play with is old Ammonia systems.
All the best Arthur.

frank
19-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Any guesses anyone ?

As Andy says, it's a type of winding that allows the motor to operate at 2 fixed speeds/power outputs.
http://www.dynamotor.be/img/dalh2.gif

I've just ordered two 9kw/1.9kw two speed motors from Wyko for a refurbishment job.

TXiceman
19-02-2007, 10:46 PM
After going through the beginner exan rather quickly, I tried the advanced and read it VERY carefully. You have to not overthink the questions or answers. I was somewhat surprised that I could answer the 19/20 on the advanced, since I seldom work with "*****" and commerical/residental units.

Ken

paul_h
27-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Lame test for the beginners.
An internal unit with "flare" connections is pre-charged with nitrogen during manufacture.
I said false, they said:
Not correct
I happen to know none of the aircons I support have nitrogen in the evap. The test is wrong if they mean pressurised, as none of them have any pressure in them. If they mean 1atm of pressure so you can't tell when opening them up, then they've worded it badly.

LP faults usually cause frosting of the evaporator.
I ticked false, they said:
Not correct
what if there's no refrigerant in the system, how will the evap frost up then? What if there's a LP cut out, how will the sytem run long enough to frost up then?
They should have said LP faults sometimes may result in frosting or the evap.

frank
27-07-2007, 07:27 PM
LP faults usually cause frosting of the evaporator.
I ticked false, they said:
Not correct
what if there's no refrigerant in the system, how will the evap frost up then? What if there's a LP cut out, how will the sytem run long enough to frost up then?
They should have said LP faults sometimes may result in frosting or the evap.
An LP fault usually causes a trip. An undercharge or loss of gas usually causes frosting of the evap.

TXiceman
28-07-2007, 06:17 PM
An LP fault usually causes a trip. An undercharge or loss of gas usually causes frosting of the evap.

In addition to low charge, you have to first look air air flow over the evaporator. Low air flow, due to plugged filter, dirty coil or fan not operating at speed, will all show a low suction pressure and possibly a frosted coil.

Try to charge a system with a dirty coil and see what you get...

Ken

The MG Pony
03-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Cool, scored 15 first go with the basic, whent back and corrected the ones I figured where odd and bumped me up to 18 :) On the advanced 15 first go, no idea which I clicked wrong though.

Not bad for learning off the net :)

duarte
18-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Sometimes the language of the quiz is important to.

KibGaimb73
30-11-2009, 03:01 AM
With only two very small holding plates I can see why you are not pleased with the present refrigeration system.

Latte
30-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Id forgotton all about this thread. Got my 2079 coming up in Jan so think i need to start getting my mind back in theory mode :eek:

I wont post my results :p

Ernie
02-12-2009, 03:29 AM
just as i thought. i know jack about cooling tower's. aced the first test though.

reganracelis
03-12-2009, 12:00 PM
i got 16 for easy question... not been at the difficult one...

The Red Krawler
25-05-2010, 11:06 AM
That was a horrible, horrible test. So many of the questions could be either true OR false, depending on a huge array of circumstances that arent described or catered for in the question.

I got 16/20 on the advanced, though pretty much all of the questions could be answered both ways!